One of my most precious memories during the time my first
son was born was when Allan sung to me the hymn “How Firm a Foundation” in the
middle of my tears and hopelessness.
That memory came up in discussion the other week when Allan and I were
talking about how music ministers to us.
He shared that part of the reason he went and pulled out the hymnal that
night was based upon a sermon our bible study leader gave on the verse
Colossians 3:16. “Let the word of Christ dwell in you
richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and
hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.” Allan said that it wasn’t until he
heard that sermon did he understand that the context in which this verse falls
is within the context of one-another commands. He said that changed his perspective and motivation in
singing, now understanding that it could be a way to minister to one-another in the body of
Christ. He wanted to minister to me so he decided to do so through song.
There are several songs that have tremendously ministered to me in my time of need. Perhaps my treasured memory of Allan singing to me during a
dark time compounding with our recent conversation from Colossians 3:16 how
music can minister to one-another, was why I was flipped through CDs and tracks
in the car yesterday searching for a song to minister to my soul.
I was on my way to my dearest
friend’s bachelorette party. I was
excited about the evening ahead, curious and eager to see how my friend and all
her guests would enjoy the evening.
Although I was anticipating what lied ahead, I was also thinking through
what I left behind at home. My son
was particularly fussy that day.
Part of it I think was because I was distracted from him and focused on
my last minute planning and prep efforts.
I left the house in a hurry, leaving my two crying children in the arms
of my mom. As I was driving in the
quiet van I was wondering about my day.
“Was I a neglectful mom to ignore my fussy son? Perhaps I should have planned better so
I didn’t have to ignore my son for part of the day?” As I was starting to head down the road of “would have…
should have… could have….” I stopped and remember the impact music has had to
my soul. So many of the other
times music ministered to my soul was when I was driving in the van, alone,
like I was yesterday.
I first thought a song about trials
would encourage me. So I searched for a certain CD. But then I
thought no. I wasn’t in a trial or
suffering, I just had a hard day and was starting to feel guilt and see my
shortcomings as a mother. As I was
taking CDs in and out of the CD player trying not to drop a CD or get in a
crash, I drove with my knees. I
was sad because I couldn’t quite find the right song my soul was searching
for. Then the song came on,
“Arrived” by Enfield.
That was it! That was what my soul was longing
for. Heaven. What is the most common way that New
Testament writers give hope to those suffering? Through truth about
heaven! No more distractions. No sin left to fight. Instead I can run to the embrace of my
Savior! My faith will become
sight! I hit repeat several times
on my CD player. Still driving
with my knees so that I could use my hands to drum the steering wheel and slap
my thigh. Praise God for the hope
of heaven!
Watching and
waiting our whole life through
For the moment
when we arrive in glory
We’ll be
standing before is emerald throne.
O what a day
it will be!
All tears
are gone and suffering ceased,
Perfect new
life with no earthly strife,
For we’ve
finished the race, run to His embrace.
O what a day
that will be!
When we’ve
arrived, stunned and surprised,
All things
resolved in the blink of an eye;
No more
distractions, no sin left to fight.
That first
glimpse of Jesus and faith becomes sight.
Feel the
ground shake, hear thunder and roll.
See blinding
light and seraphim flight.
All amazed
we will fall, yet the Father will call,
“Stand, I
have made you my own!”
A choir with
angels, martyrs and saints,
Singing His
praise, with no end to the day,
Shouting
“Holy, Holy, Holy” to Almighty God;
O what a
song that will be!
When we’ve
arrived, stunned and surprised,
All things
resolved in the blink of an eye;
No more
distractions, no sin left to fight.
That first
glimpse of Jesus and faith becomes sight.
No comments:
Post a Comment