So we are now well into the second week of being the parents of little Jakob Adler. And I can confidently say that God has indeed been gracious. He has been faithful to His promises and has been a refuge and comfort to my weary and anxious heart. Oh how encouraging Scripture is to a broken heart. Quit striving! Be still! And know that I am God! That is what has encouraged my heart.
Do you want to know a surefire way to get me to cry these days? Just sing the song “How Firm a Foundation”. The night before I went into labor I was overwhelmed and anxious about the delivery of Jakob. I was lying in bed and my husband came in and told me to rest and just listen to the words. He then began to sing to me the hymn “How Firm a Foundation”. I have sung that hymn tons of times in church and never stopped to really listen to the words. Oh how appropriate! Plus my husband has never sung to me before. Both together was so tender and loving to my heart it made me cry.
Now after the delivery of Jakob we still sing that hymn. Allan hums it and sings it to Jakob when he holds him. In the hospital after the delivery he sang that song to Jakob. At home we sing the hymn. We decided it would be Jakob’s official song that we sing to him as a newborn. The hymn accurately describes my shaky and weary soul and reminds me of the firm foundation I have in Christ. It highlights the power and tender mercy of God towards His children in their time of need. Here are the words for those of you who might not be familiar with the hymn:
How firm a foundation ye saints of the Lord, is laid for your faith in His excellent word! What more can He say then to you He hath said, To you who for refuge to Jesus have fled?
“Fear not, I am with thee, O be not dismayed, For I am they God, I will still give thee aid; I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand, Upheld by My righteous, omnipotent hand.”
“When through fiery trials they pathway should lie, my grace all sufficient shall be thy supply, The flame shall not hurt thee I only design, they dross to consume and they gold to refine.”
“The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose, I will not, I will not desert to his foes; That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake, I’ll never, no, never, no never forsake.”
The third verse has always been my favorite. So true and comforting! Praise God for His grace - it is all we need!
ReplyDelete