I enjoy reading blogs on my kindle fire, especially with the
google reader app. It almost feels
like a modern day version of my mom’s magazines or catalogs – things she had
laying around the house while we were growing up that she’d read when she had a
little down time. Something I
noticed on a few of the blogs I follow is that they often have a “series”. As my sons were falling asleep today
for their naps I was thinking of a new series I could start on my own blog—how
motherhood humbles me.
The idea of a series may have come from reading various
blogs, but the series idea itself came from the book project I am working on (I
guess that is what you’d call it).
It was about two years ago when Jakob was only a couple months old when
I got an email from the MABC program at TMC. The email was asking for students who were willing to share
their testimony through a particular trial they went through. They would then collect the various
testimonies and compile them into a book.
The main premise and focus of the book is based off of 2 Corinthians 1:
4 to comfort others who are in affliction and suffering with the comfort we
received in Christ through our own suffering. I was in the middle of adjusting to motherhood and not doing
well at all to say the least. I
responded to the email and said they should have a chapter on new motherhood
struggles. They replied and asked
if I wanted to share my testimony.
Well fast-forward two years and the deadline for me to submit my testimony
on my struggles of new motherhood is approaching at the end of this month.
Writing my testimony has been such a blessing! I had no idea what a blessing it would
be to sit down and gather my thoughts and express concretely what I struggled
with and what I learned and how God changed me through my struggles as a new
mom. It has encouraged me so much
that I want to continue this exercise for myself on all trials I go through in
life, to journal through my trials and record how God teaches me and changes
me. At the end of the trial it is
such a beautiful testimony and encouragement to see the big picture and rejoice
over what God has done in my life.
So back to the new series idea for my blog. I thought something fun would be to
record the various aspects of how motherhood humbles me. One of the various ways I am humbled in
motherhood is through naptime.
Naptime has brought out more sin in me than I ever anticipated. I constantly battle with how to spend
my time while my sons are napping.
Do I pay bills and work on finances? Or do I sit down with a cup of coffee and surf the internet? It brings out my expectation and
perceived “right” I have to daily “me time” to focus on myself. Thus, when the boys do not nap
according to plan do I respond in self-pity and anger? It is deceiving and gives me false
ideas as to where my true rest lies.
Does it lie in a nap for myself?
It also brings out my self-righteousness. Am I a better mom because I can “make” my sons follow a
daily schedule? Am I a failure as
a mom because my son takes too long of a nap or too short of a nap or a nap at
the wrong time? And when I am lost
and at the end of myself where do I turn for help and wisdom about naptime? Do I turn to Mr. Google, online chat
forums, and sleep manuals?
How humbling that all of this sin, failure and shortcomings
come out from a mere little routine naptime?
Today my heart smiled when I looked at my sons napping. Jakob had his butt in the air and his
favorite blankey around his head.
They were both asleep at the same time, which is rare. Watching them
both sleep put my heart at rest and made me see the big picture of motherhood
and the struggles of naptime seemed so insignificant. For that moment my mind did not spiral into overanalyzing
naptime and I enjoyed watching them sleep. Wow how such a simple activity has humbled me.
How sweet these photos are. I too struggle with my "me time" when Gary's naps are haphazard. I need to try and make the most of every moment, and always have a willing heart to go with plan B. Or C. Or D. etc. Or Z! Of course, from God's perspective, there is only Plan A. I just don't submit myself to it and embrace it quick enough! Thanks for sharing this article. I'm looking forward to the rest of your motherhood series. :)
ReplyDelete