Jakob Adler Luciano was born January 26, 2010, at 3:40pm. He weighed 8 lbs. and 3.7 oz., measuring 22 in long. I had no idea what was in store for me. In the months preceding his birth I spent time and efforts in preparing my self for the labor and delivery of Jakob. I thought that would be my “big trial” – so I was quite surprised to see that the real trial for me came after the delivery.
I’ve heard about the sleepless nights, round the clock feedings, diaper changes on top of diaper changes, spit up, change of clothes, “post partum depression”, crying fussy baby, 6 week physical recovery, that comes with a newborn baby. But I didn’t give it much thought other than it might be a bit of a challenge. ☺
In preparation for the labor and delivery of Jakob I wrote down several Bible verses and quotes on index cards. My plan was that they would help me through the labor and delivery of Jakob. I had no idea that those verses and quotes I wrote down would actually encourage me more AFTER the delivery of Jakob. Of the those quotes was the following, “If I focus on myself, my pain, my circumstances then that will only lead to fear, anxiety and worry – creating a prison for myself in my mind. But if I focus on God and His character, goodness and mercy, then that is the key to free my mind.” That is soooo true!
No one will argue that caring for a new born baby is a trial, for even the world has a term for the despair and overwhelming feeling that can come during this time and lot in life - “post partum depression”. But the key to free my mind is to focus on God and His character. The thought and truth that has lifted my spirits and given me HOPE is that God has the power to change my mind. Ha ha this is great encouragement to a weary soul…. I don’t have to feel “trapped”! He has changed my mind and heart once before during my salvation and redemption of my soul, surely and truly He can and WILL change my heart and mind now. My Savior is not only merciful and good but He is POWERFUL to fulfill His promises to His children.
Why do I know this? Because Philippians 4:6-9, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. AND THE PEACE OF GOD, WHICH SURPASSES ALL UNDERSTANDING WILL GUARD YOUR HEATS AND MINDS IN CHRIST JESUS.” Look at the promise God has for me in His Word! My despair and overwhelming feeling of his new “lot in life” reveals my lack of faith in God’s promise and lack of faith in His power and ability to change my heart and mind. Surely my circumstances won’t change, Jakob will still cry, dirty his diapers, spit up, and need to be feed around the clock – but because of Jesus Christ and the redemption of my soul I will have peace and a gentle and quiet spirit.
That is beautiful, Sandi! Thank you for sharing. I also felt like I had prepared so well for the delivery but didn't realize how hard the postpartum recovery plus caring for a new baby part would be! It got better after I got more sleep, and I just look back and marvel that God got me through it! He will bring you through it, too...We look forward to seeing you and the baby, soon, and will be praying for you until then!
ReplyDeleteYou really have no idea what's in store when you have a kid until you go through it. It's so much easier the second time around because you know what to expect. You also enjoy it more. I honestly don't mind the middle of the night feedings or even hearing him cry because I look at my daughter and know that they grow up too quickly. People can tell you all the time that this is just a phase and to enjoy each moment, but until you are out of that phase, it's hard to imagine anything else. I cried more the first few weeks/months of Samantha's life than I've ever cried before. It's hard, especially when the baby keeps crying! You think thoughts that are horrifying (as in thinking of horrendous ways to make the baby shut up!). It really does get better though. Once the baby starts eating well and sleeping well for example. Nothing prepares you for getting thrown into fire. Remember that the newborn stage is brief in comparison to what's to come. Kids are so much fun even if they are a lot of work. I'm glad that they have no long term memory at this age because they'd hold it against us the rest of our lives. Being a new parent requires much patience, much repentance, and much crying out to God! You are not alone, Sandi. It's like this for everyone!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing Sandi. What an inspiration/example for new mothers. Focus on God's character, mercy, and goodness instead of pain, self, circumstances... something we should apply even to our daily living. Just as He saw you thru the labor and delivery, so will He thru the challenging first few weeks afterwards. Let me know how we can help... and when we could visit too :-), would love to meet Jakob! -Marie Ball
ReplyDeleteHas Alan gotten over his phobia of saliva yet? - Janina
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for all your comments. :) This is the first day of the second week and I am slowly feeling a little bit more sane each day. I can still easily get caught up in the various tasks at hand of caring for a newborn - but slowly I am beginning to see the joy that comes with it. God is tremendously gracious.... my family has been a great help too... friends like you are also helpful fellowship and encouragement to keep the right focus. But something I am tremendously greatful for is God's gift to me of my husband. Our marriage has never been was it has been in the last week. It is amazing how it can bring us together in another way that I didn't even now, spiritual and intimately. He has showed me sooo much love and service I am amazed. I am truly grateful at how steady he is and really enjoy seeing him interact with our son. Janina - you'd be surprised... Allan has changed more diapers than me by far! ha ha... Jakob is a little farter (passing gas all of the time) and he farted right on Allan when he was in the middleo of a diaper changed. haha... but Allan still kept going.
ReplyDeleteHA! HA! Sand, you crack me up. I'm proud of Allan for persevering through the farts. :) Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. No, I'm not a mom...I'm not even married...but it was still such an encouragement to my heart to hear how the Lord has been using this experience to refine your walk with him, to strengthen your marriage, and to prepare you for what is ahead. I love you so much and know you are going to be the best mom ever...I can't imagine a better mom! I mean that. I've been praying for you and will continue praying for you in the coming weeks and months. I'm so excited to get to know Jakob. Let me know when I can bring you over a meal! :) LOVE YA!
ReplyDelete