Saturday, June 01, 2013

Renewed Hope in 5 Minutes

(NOTE:  I originally wrote this entry last fall for a friend's blog.  But I never posted it here on my own blog.  You know what is funny?  Re-reading this post now, I can't even remember the night I talk about in this post!  ha ha....  But I do remember my husband's loving counsel.)

This morning at breakfast my husband asked me why I was crying.  “Are you sad because your old roommate had to cancel the play date you guys had planned with the kids?”  No, I was crying because of the events from last night.  It took 3 long hours to put both boys to sleep.  The fluctuating sleep habits of my two sons has to be my greatest source of anxiety, guilt, anger, envy, malice and covetousness during this season of my life.  And I was crying because I concluded last night was a failure.

Then over pancakes and coffee I proceeded to explain to my husband why I was so depressed over the events of last night.  Try as I may, I cannot get my toddler-aged son to sleep on his own.  I have read several books on sleep training your child.  I have googled and research how and why toddlers have trouble sleeping.  I have implemented and sought to keep my son on a schedule to help improve the ease of putting him to sleep.  My imagination runs wild and accuses me even more of my failure.  The standard I have set from all of the knowledge I’ve accumulated over my research on toddler sleep is that the most basic step to having a well behaved child, and thus being a good parent, is having a child that takes naps and sleeps regularly as instructed.  I did not meet the standard I set and that depressed my weary soul.

My depression this morning over pancakes and coffee, steamed from my accumulated toil of striving to sleep train my son.  I just finally gave up.  I couldn’t do it anymore.  I was tired. 

I went on and on explaining to my husband all of the factors involved that made my goal seem impossible.  My own failures, the health issues of my son, vacations and holidays interuptions, errands and outings, and much more were obstacles I couldn’t avoid in trying to sleep train your child.  Then after listening to all my sorrow my husband simply replied…

“You know there is hope.”

He said all of my efforts would be fruitful if our son was a robot.  But he is not a robot, he is a sinner.  He said my hope did not lie in getting our son to follow the advice of all of the best “mommy blogs”.  My hope is found in Jesus Christ and the gospel. 

Okay, but what does Jesus have to do with my son sleeping?

My husband said that my sin is not the failure of my son sleeping obediently on a specific schedule.  No, instead my sin was self-righteousness in trying to use my toil as means for approval before God. 

Struggle with self-righteousness is not a new to me.  This is a constant sin that entices my flesh.  I can twist and distort the most helpful and well-meaning mommy blog out there into a simple to do list that I can complete and boast about to others.  But the thing about self-righteousness is that it removes all hope outside my own efforts, talents, and abilities.  In self-righteousness there is no rest until complete obedience has been obtained.  Am I trying to perfect my own flesh (Gal. 3:3)?  If I could obtain righteousness and complete obedience through to do lists, then Christ died for no purpose (Gal 2:21)!

So if my husband is right, that hope lies in the gospel through Jesus Christ, then hope begins with repentance.  The mention of repentance to self-righteous ears sounds like yet another task and to do to complete.  I have often had the thought, “oh man I have to repent again!”  But that is the wrong view of repentance.  Rather repentance should always be a source of joy and rest because you are turning from your own failures and turning towards a merciful, forgiving, longsuffering, and loving Savior!

When you find yourself with a downcast soul over yet another failure how can you renew your hope?  In 5 minutes, you can start on the road to renewed hope by remembering these simple truths (taken from the two sermons referenced at the bottom of this post.)

·      Remember sin and guilt do not produce true repentance (Matthew 27:3). 
o   Staring at and analyzing all of the minuet details of my sin will not bring me relief. 

·      Recognize that seeing and loving Christ causes a guilt filled Christian to repent (Romans 2:4).
o   How do I look at Christ?  Instead of being intimately aware of every minuet detail of my sin I need to become intimately aware of every attribute of my Savior.

·      Realize sin is the result of a battle in the mind, our imagination (Ephesians 4).  
o   My allurement of sin won’t vanish in 5 minutes, nor within my lifetime.  But within 5 minutes I can weaken the battle of sin in my mind and renew my hope in a merciful and gentle Savior who will one day complete my salvation and bring me to heaven!


These two sermons helped me in the battle of my mind and gave me renewed hope in my Savior:

No comments:

Post a Comment