Monday, May 13, 2013

My dislike of the Proverbs 31 Woman


What comes to mind when you hear the phrase “Proverbs 31 woman”?  What feelings do you experience when you hear another woman quote a portion of that chapter?  When I hear the phrase the Proverbs 31 woman what comes to mind is the women’s ministry at a local church.  She seems to be the example that most women’s ministries try to emulate.  As a result, she condemns me and reminds me that I constantly fall short of the standard.  Therefore I don’t like her and I do my best to try and avoid interaction with her, lest she expose my failures and weaknesses.

But as time passes and circumstances change I realize my foolishness and pride in how I have treated her.  I realize I need the Proverbs 31 woman, I need her wisdom and instruction.  Humbly, I realize that most of my dislike towards her has been because I have formed conclusions and judgments from observing her from afar.  Someone will make a post on their blog with “10 tips on how to make money from being a stay at home mom” and use the Proverbs 31 as their authority.  Someone else will quote how she feared the Lord, and then give an exhortation to bump up your Bible reading and prayer time.  I miss the mark on both, so why would I want to study a woman whose standard I can’t reach?

But then I realized that I have done very little to study this chapter myself.  Hearing quotes out of context it comes across as a list of do’s and don’ts.  But I know my Savior and He never gives instruction without motivation clearly explained.  And I know my Savior is merciful and kind and His yoke is easy and burden is light.  So what is there to fear?  Why not stop and study the passage myself and find out why this lady is doing all of these things?

And that is exactly what I plan to do.  As I begin to study Proverbs 31 I, Lord willing, plan to blog about the things I learn.  I haven’t been as active on my blog lately, not sure exactly why.  Part of it is because I usually have to be in a certain type of mood to write.  And that “mood” is usually distress, anxiety, worry or depression.  But I appreciate the accountability keeping a blog provides, and I can see the benefit to study Proverbs 31.  And I am sure that once I start studying this chapter it will expose sins that need to be repented, of which is sure to stir up enough turmoil in my soul to motivate me to write.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:44 PM

    Hello, Sandy.
    Thank you so much for this candid post!
    This note on how you truly feel about the Proverbs 31 woman is a standard that my humanness falls short to reach, as well.
    I am very interested in walking the Biblical woman roles with you and to take a deeper look at what the Lord intends for us to apply from His Word.
    Let me know via media-technology, in how you would like us to begin this journey to discuss what the Hebrew lexicon is really telling us. Looking forward in sharing insights on the Proverbs 31 role model.

    For His heart alone,

    ~dianna Vo

    Jn 17:17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I will email you. :)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5:46 PM

    **Sandi

    ReplyDelete