For the birth of my second son, Trevor, I chose a song that
I wanted to listen to during my labor.
That song was “When Trials Come” by the Keith and Kristyn Getty. My friend who joined me at the hospital
to help with my labor even learned the lyrics to sing to me. (How sweet!) I particularly liked the opening
stanza. But ironically once I
actually went into labor my interest in listening to that song vanished
completely. Ha ha..
This past week was a tiring week. So just last night I listened to that song again as I sat in
my son’s room putting him to sleep.
Sitting quietly in the glider, in the dark corner of his room, I had my
ear buds in and I listened to that song.
But this time it wasn’t the opening stanza that caught my attention, it
was a single line in the second stanza.
Within
the night I know Your peace
The breath of God brings strength to me
And new each morning mercy flows
As treasures of the darkness grow
As treasures of the darkness grow
The breath of God brings strength to me
And new each morning mercy flows
As treasures of the darkness grow
As treasures of the darkness grow
This pregnancy my experience of morning sickness seems more
intense than it was with my first two pregnancies. As a result I have been resting a lot and lying on the
couch. Which leads to a lot of
inactivity. And when I am inactive
and cooped up in the house my thoughts tend to turn inward, which only leaves
me with feelings of guilt and despair, leading to depression. I can now recognize the pattern of
thought and the feeling that overcomes me when this darkness begins to
grow. And I saw it begin to take
root in my thoughts this past week.
That is why this line caught my attention. Instead of allowing the weaknesses of
my flesh to grow during this trial, why not repent to turn to my Savior and
allow treasures to grow out of the darkness? And I thought a blog post would be a wonderful concrete way
to record those treasures.
·
Morning sickness reveals that God is creating a
new life within me! And God
declares the children are a blessing from Him! (Psalm 127:3)
·
Several good friends have had miscarriages
lately and the possibility of it happening to me has left me with fear. But morning sickness is a tangible
reminder to take one day at a time and think of what is true. (Phil 4:6-9)
·
Resting has allowed me to cuddle more with my
two sons.
·
Food cravings, especially while experiencing
morning sickness, makes me grateful for how creative God was in creating food,
with a variety of flavors and textures to enjoy!
·
Not being able to do all of my regular chores
allows my husband to practice leadership within our home by selflessly serving
me and the kids, even after working a 10-hour work day himself.
·
Morning sickness is a reminder that God is the
Creator of life and I am just the vessel.
I am not in control but He is sovereign over each step. (Psalm 139)
Counting the treasures out of darkness may seem a little
artificial and Pollyanna-like (playing the glad game and finding the good in
everything). But I think it is a
biblical principle and a matter of discipling your mind.
“In the day of prosperity be joyful, and in
the day of adversity consider: God has made the one as well as the other, so
that man may not find out anything that will be after him.” Ecclesiastes
7:14
“Oh, the depth of the
riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!” Romans 11:33
“ ‘He replied, “You
are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not
trouble?’ In all this,
Job did not sin in what he said.” Job 2:10
So why search for treasures out of darkness?
Because…I know my God.
“Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless
his holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not
all his benefits, who forgives all your
iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems
your life from the pit, who crowns you with
steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you
with good so that your youth is renewed like the
eagle's.” Psalm 103:1-5
So what treasures are growing out of your darkness?
No comments:
Post a Comment