Thursday, June 28, 2012

Important over urgent: another lesson learned

In my previous post I mentioned that a recent resolution is learning how to prioritize the important over the urgent.  I guess my main struggle is motivation.  Where does the motivation come from to pursue something that is important over what is urgent?  There are so many urgent things in motherhood and keeping a home (bills to pay, budgets to keep, schedules to make, diapers to change, laundry to wash, meals to cook, etc.).  But how do you know what is important in all of that?  And how do you really wash clothes to the glory of God?  Such an abstract concept.  And if you lined up a mom who washed clothes to the glory of God next to a mom who washed clothes to their own glory - what differences would you see? 

Well God has graciously been using different things to help show me the answer - which lies in His Word!  I know that I am suppose to read the Bible, that is a given.  But it is so much easier to read the Bible when there is something pressing in my life.  A trial, a frustration, a failed idol, a unmet expectation, a longing desire, etc.  But I don't quite have any of those right now.  If I tried hard enough I could probably come up with some things, but life is sorta just life.   So how do I find motivation to read my Bible to learn God's will on the important over the urgent when I have nothing really pushing that way?

I need to read God's Word to shape my thinking.  And here is my motivation WHY I need to read God's Word (along with the tool God used): 

* The danger of daily routine lulling me into loosing the big picture [Psalm 90, Don Green's sermon from Grace Community Church, Sun Valley CA]

*  Learning to discern what is real from what is not real; by learning to recognize "if only...." thinking of dwelling on the past resulting in guilt and regret and learning to recognize "what if...." thinking of imagining fears and worries of the future not yet realized).  [Elizabeth George's book Loving God With All My Mind]

*  Learning to uneclipse the Son in my life by seeking to know God better through knowing His Son Jesus Christ better.  [Rick Holland's book Uneclipsing the Son]

*  Learning how to live 1 Peter 2:9, "But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light."  In order to proclaim the excellencies of my God who called me out of darkness, I need to know Him.  This will enable me to be a better helper to my husband. [Elyse Fitzpatrick's book Helper by Design].

No comments:

Post a Comment