Allan and I just got back from a short vacation celebrating
our 6 year anniversary. The boys
went to my in-laws for the long weekend and will return shortly. As I unpack from our trip and plan for
the week ahead, I thought I would take the opportunity to reflect a little from
our trip.
Leading up to this trip Allan and I realized we were in
danger of becoming more like roommates instead of spouses, companions and
lovers. I was amazed at how
quickly after having kids marriage seems like it takes a lot more work than it
did before. Before kids I seemed
to have enough hours in my day to have “me time” with enough left over to have
“hubby time”. But after kids most
of my hours seemed to be filled with “kid time”, which at the end of my day I
am tired and longing for a little “me time.” The kids finally get to sleep and I have just a couple hours
before I myself have to get to sleep.
So I race against the clock trying to get in my “me time” before my
eyelids get to heavy.
And this is the cycle that slowly creped into our
marriage. I had no idea it was
sneaking in because I was too busying trying to calculate and plan my “me
time”. And slowly Allan became my
roommate.
So the timing of our vacation was a wonderful blessing! Something Allan and I try to do each
anniversary is have a S.W.O.T. analysis.
We sit down over a meal or coffee and evaluate the strengths,
weaknesses, opportunities and threats to our marriage. And then we make resolutions based on
what we discuss.
One of my weaknesses and threats to our marriage is my
influence on Allan during this support-raising phase of becoming a
missionary. I have been foolish
and selfish, assuming that support raising was solely something Allan had to
find time to do. Sure I saw how I
could help a little. But overall I
thought it was something he had to do. I was reflecting one day thinking “Gee
it would be nice if Allan had someone to help him in his support raising
process.” Then shortly after that
thought I picked up the book Helper by
Design by Elyse Fitzpatrick. I
was humbled to realize “oh God already gave Allan a helper, it’s me!”
As I seek to be a better helper to my husband’s goals,
desires, responsibilities and duties I realize that I have to put “Allan time”
before “me time”. And my desire
for “me time” was really more of distortion of trying to seek refuge, rest,
refreshment, and strength from my desires of this world. Trying to be satisfied from things
other than Christ, which is futile and toilsome.
So my resolutions are:
…learning to prioritize the important over the urgent
AND
…learning to submit my mind to Christ so that the “if
only’s…” of yesterday and the “what if’s…” of tomorrow do not tempt my mind to
wander from the blessings of today.
I do not know how these resolutions will play out. But I am excited at what lies
ahead. I do know that the
motivation to my resolutions lies within the pages of God’s Word and I plan to
start my seeking there.
No comments:
Post a Comment