We have been back on Philippine soil for one full week now. Jet lag is slowly being overcome, so I thought now would be a good time to sit down and write about our time in the US. Our family went to the US for about a month. The main purpose of the trip was to attend a conference, but since the conference was located not too far from family we got to visit family as well. I won't share pictures here since I shared more than enough through fb, but instead I will make a list of my thoughts, reactions, and common questions I was asked by others.
- "What do you miss about the US?" This was one question I was asked a few times. I missed real life hugs from loved ones. I missed the abundance of free-oversized-napkins given away in handfuls whenever you ate out. I missed shopping for clothes in places with so little employees that it almost felt like a zombie apocalypse. So I took advantage of the napkins like a teenager with a free gasoline credit card. Then I went shopping for clothes in places I wondered if there was any one working until I got to the check out line and there stood the lone employee. And of course, I got many real life hugs!
- "What do you enjoy about living in the Philippines?" I enjoyed this question because it made me stop and think about my new home with fondness. During our stay in the US I realized I did miss the Philippines and could answer this question truthfully. I enjoy the vibrant use of color, everything seems more colorful in the Philippines. I enjoy the unashamed bursts of laughter, dancing, and music in daily life. I enjoy the happiness and desire to enjoy one another's company by taking life slower and putting people before schedules. I enjoy the respect for authority and abundance of hospitality. I enjoy opening all of the windows during a heavy downpour and letting the breeze filter in with the warm air enveloping me like a hug.
- "What food do you miss most?" This may seem silly, but I have a hard time figure out what exactly is American food. Maybe because I grew up in Los Angeles and there are so many variety of food available. But there really wasn't any specific food I missed, since most Western food is available in the Philippines. Something I missed more than American food was Mexican food! But things I enjoyed eating during our visit was: my mom's meatloaf, broccoli, asparagus, salmon, baked potatoes, green salad, enchiladas, tacos, refried beans, Spanish rice, and American ice-cream.
- "It probably feels like home now over there for you too?" I was surprised how many times people made this statement to me. It wasn't one I was expecting, but made me stop and contemplate if it was true. But it's funny, because once I was in the US again, the Philippines seemed like a distant dream that happened in another lifetime. Yes, our home in Manila feels like home, but so does my parent's home in California where we lived for five years. Both are home but in different ways. In order to adequately answer this question, I must save it for another post of it's own.
- "Do you have any reverse culture shock?" This was something I was very curious about myself. But no I didn't really experience any, at least in the true sense of the word. When the plane landed and we stepped off, things seemed well.... normal and as to be expected. Everything pretty much met my expectations, thus no real shock. I guess the shock came in the little things, and even that was fun and enjoyable to see the differences. Like trying to buy a drink for my kids at the gas station, only to find the 1 liter was the smallest quantity you could buy! Why was everything so large? Or like when the cash register attendants were extra chatty and friendly with me, why did they talk so much? Or when we went to get ice cream as a family and the smallest size was about a pint! I was dumbfounded as to why they would even do such a thing, wasn't that a waste and abundance of excess? My 6 year old son was shocked by freeways speeds, lack of density in population, and cookie cutter track homes.
- Feeling of the US. Our trip consisted of attending a conference and visiting family. And because it was only 1 month in length, that meant everyday was planned ahead of time and full of fun! It felt like Christmas, birthday celebrations and vacation all rolled up into one! Not one day was not pre-planned for our enjoyment! It was a special treat, unique and enjoyable. But it was at a pace hard to keep up with, one can only live in a state of celebration for so long before you desire to return to responsibilities, routine, and reality. It was like VBS on steroids with everyday being an Unbirthday celebration! A child's dream.
- Trip highlights. By far the greatest highlight of the trip was to see my children creating memories with family and loved ones. One of the things you feel like you have to give up when you become a missionary, is saying goodbye to family. You realize that means your kids might not know their family as much as you'd like. But it warmed my heart and put a smile on my face to see my kids enjoying and making a lifetime of memories with their grandparents and cousins. It really made me realize time is short. A personal highlight for me was getting to talk and interact with other missionaries. It made me realize that many of the new and strange feelings I have struggled with or experienced before were normal and common! It really made 1 Corinthians 10:13 come to life for me, and that was indeed a blessing that will bless me for time to come as now I can holder tighter to the promises of that verse.
- Things I want to do differently now that I am back. Something I did not expect was the effect the trip would have on me even after we returned to the Philippines. The US was comfortable, comfortable because it was family and comfortable because it had extra accommodations. I realized how refreshing it is to have a home that you are comfortable it, how refreshing it is for the whole family. It made me want to create a home here that is that same. That is not to say I am now going on a shopping spree! ha ha... Instead things I before let go and simply told myself "oh well I am a missionary now that aspect shouldn't matter," I now feel the freedom to make nice and enjoyable! It gives me motivation and excitement to make our house here a home that is enjoyable, comfortable and a place where memories are made.
No comments:
Post a Comment