Monday, August 22, 2016

Differences in Life in the Philippines

Currently, I am reading five different books.  Their topics?  Worry, anxiety, contentment, fear of failure, moods, and joy.  See a theme?  My husband jokes that one of my hobbies is worry.  He says that if I am not currently worried about something then I am worried that I am not worried. ;) It is a weakness of my flesh that I know I have to fight against.  Hence...why I am reading these books.  It is a sin that can color and skew your own perspective on life if you are not vigilant to think rightly.

Before moving overseas I was most intrigued with the unknown.  I was curious about the differences in life between the US and the Philippines.  There is something very interesting in learning how people do things very differently than you.  Some of you expressed the very same sediment when you said you'd love to learn more about the differences in what I experience from living here.  I would love to share with you about those differences, but I hesitate.  Hesitation comes because I know my flesh, my weakness and temptation.  I also know the power of writing, how directly it is connected to your thinking and when your thoughts become words on a page it helps cement that thought into your mind.  Thus, my hesitance to just make a list of all of the differences and then state "the end."  Such by itself would only brew discontentment in my heart.

But I will, if you allow me to do it in another manner I will take on the request.  Here are the parameters I will use to share.  First, I will tell you the same set of differences in two different ways.  One way will be the "mud".  It will be listing the differences in very plainly and honestly according to the world's perspective.  The other way will be the "stars".  It will be listing the differences in a positive light.  This idea comes from Linda Dillow's book Calm My Anxious Heart: A Woman's Guide to Finding Contment, "Two women looked through prison bars, one saw mud the other saw stars."

Timothy Lane in his book Living Without Worry: How to replace anxiety with peace defines worry.  He explains that worry is to be over-concerned about something other than God's kingdom, to allow your mind to dwell on trouble and difficulty, living as this life is all there is.  When your ultimate hope is placed in this world, you will worry.  This world has too many uncontrollable things.  Contentment comes at the choice of submitting to the Controller of all things, accepting that every assignment is measured and controlled for my eternal good.

Thus, my second parameter I will use when sharing these differences, is I will filter them through the grid of Philippians 4:8.  After I share the differences, I will then explain how each point of Philippians 4:8 applies.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.  What you have learned and received and heart and seen in me--practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you...for I learned in whatever situation I am to be content  I know how to be brought low, and how to abound.  In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.  I can do all things through him who strengthens me. - Philippians 4:6-13

Erwin Lutzer in his book Conquering the Fear of Failure: Lessons from the Life of Joshua starts off his book by talking about the "Grasshopper Complex", which is "turning away from a God-given challenge for fear that we lack the resources to tackle it, or when we try to avoid facing a problem that is hindering our spiritual progress."  This is the identity and fear that 10 of the 12 spies had in Numbers 13 when they first went into the Promise Land to scope it out.  He gives a variety of explanations describing what the Grasshopper Complex is, but "double-mindedness is the leading cause...the eye that shifts it focus between God and the world will lack the stability to take confident steps in exploring new horizons for the glory of God."  Double-mindedness is the constant shift in focus between thinking on the promises of God and giving way to the supposed benefits of unbelief.

So I will share differences in life, but only in the manner outlined above.  I will share to help give you better understanding, in hopes that it will help you prayer better.  In hopes that it will allow you to rejoice when you see God answer prayers.  And in hopes that you too will join me, coming along side in me in my journey to learn contentment.  May this be an exercise to stand on the promises of Scripture rather than on the waves of this world.

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. The differences that we experience in life maybe interesting the first few times but after that what are they? What do we do when the newness wears off? One cannot sustain the joy or wonder over a period of time, you cannot get that initial thrill back! Why? It is no longer new. A brand new car will get dinged. The first ding really hurts but as time goes on you realize that dings are just a part of living in this world.

    I lived in Turkey for a short time while my husband was in the military. Back in those days all we had were paper and pen and so I wrote down what I saw, how I interacted with people and how things sounded. There was one thing I could not describe, well maybe more than one, and that was the smell of Turkey in 1976. I always said that if I could capture it in a bottle maybe people would "get it"! What I came to realize is that it is very difficult to help someone else experience what I experienced. Even if they were standing right next to me their experience would be their own.

    I love experiencing new things especially if I can keep my sense of humor because all new things are not created equal. But they maybe memorable.

    Speak from your heart. Let God's Word show you what it means to be content!

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well said. :)

      Smell of Turkey? Makes me wonder and guess.

      Delete