Sure I knew that moving to another country would be stretching and I would learn new things while having my character shaped. But I wondered how painful the process would be? Would God be like a drill sergeant, angry and impatient for me to learn my lessons? Or would He be gentle and gracious while holding my hand as those lessons got intense? If you already know my God then I don’t have to tell you the answer, He has indeed living up to His Name.
“The Lord, the Lord, a god merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands.” Exodus 34:6
Grace is unmerited favor, receiving that which you do not deserve. Mercy is compassion and forbearance shown to an offender. Or put another way, grace is God giving us something we do not deserve; mercy is God not giving us what we do deserve. I know that my God is full of grace and mercy, but now my eye has witnessed it. And at this two-year anniversary mark, I want to take time to record some of the ways God has been gracious in the seemingly little and insignificant things of daily life.
“I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you.” Job 42:5
In order to obey, I need none of these items on my list. Even if God did not orchestrate any of these items below, I would still be called to obedience in righteousness and God would still be good, gracious and merciful. These are simply extras, above and beyond if you will, that makes me smile and reminds me that God is near and holding me in His hand.
“If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea [Philippines?], even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me.” Psalm 139:9-10
1. Living close to church – Back in the US, we lived 30-plus miles from the church we called home. Living far from the church you attend just makes everything a bit more difficult. So both my husband and I decided before we moved here that we wanted to live near the church we would attend. God has been gracious and has given us a place to live just 5 minutes away (only a 30 minute walk) from our church home.
2. Tagalog Teacher Ning – I have struggled with finding the right method of how to study Tagalog. But God has given me the perfect teacher. She is flexible to my lifestyle and respects my priority of first serving my husband and family. She is fun and outgoing and makes learning a joy.
3. iflix – Watching a favorite tv show is one of the ways I like to relax. But after moving I soon learned that I didn’t have access to the same things as I did in the States. One does not need television in order to relax, but it is a special treat. Now we have access to iflix (which is sorta like a scaled down Asian version of Netflix at ¼ of the price) so that I can still watch an American show from time to time.
4. 50’s style neighborhood – Our neighborhood is shaped like a track field, its just one big loop. It is small enough to be quiet and secluded from traffic. It has a small-town, 1950’s type feel. You recognized all of the houses and faces. There are some open lots (which is a special treat living in the city) to allow breezes and greenery. It is accessible enough that we still get to experience the street vendors strolling through daily, which has a charm of its own. It is a place where my kids can go outside and play, make friends, learn how to ride bikes, and pick fruit off trees.
5. Agua Dulce, Los Angeles driving prep – Something that has bewildered me is my adjustment to Manila traffic. I have often wondered why I don’t get anxious over the traffic, as it clearly it a big source of headache to many people. Part of it I think has to do with God’s providence in my life. I grew up in Los Angeles County, where the only real method of transportation is driving. And as far as traffic in the US, Los Angeles probably ranks on the top of a lot of lists. But not only did I grow up in Los Angeles, but more specifically in a suburb which meant double the driving if I was going to get anywhere. I started driving at the age of 15, and commuted 25 miles to high school one way. I see all of this now as part of God’s providence in my life making my life here just a little bit easier.
6. Household decorations – a desire of mine when I was younger was to study interior design and go into the field of work. I never did, but I have always enjoyed design. God has been gracious in not only providing us with the items we need to fill a home, but to provide matching ones that create a beautiful appealing home. My handmade quilt matches the curtains my mom made. My curtains complement my floor rug which highlight my curtains. It is nice to live in a beautiful home.
7. Friends in similar walks - I have two friends, both of whom are white and married to a Filipino. And both of whom have all boys in very close ages to my boys. And both of whom moved to the Philippines with their husband, so they can serve in ministry. How unique it is to have one friend who can relate to many of the things I am going through, but God didn’t give just one friend He gave two!
8. More dates with hubby – I have been on more dates with my husband since moving here, than I have in all of our married years. It is a special treat to get to spend so much time with my husband.
9. Wash-n-go hairstyle – the humidity here makes my hair like perpetual “camping hair”, you know the frizzy-what-do-you-do-with-it-put-it-in-a-pony-tail type hair. Styling your hair with a hairdryer is just not practical here. But God has shown me a hairstyle that works with this weather that is both easy to style and maintain and I no longer look like I am camping all of the time.
10. A local church body home – One of the things I missed the most when we first moved here was fellowship with likeminded believers. But God has provided us a local church body to serve and call home. It is not our “mission field” but rather our home. Slowly we have gotten to know more and more of the people at our church, and it is a blessing to not just serve but to have friends we enjoy and are able to go to in time of need. Friends that we can grow in Christ with and run the race alongside.
So if I were to talk to my pre-Philippines self, I would say, “Sandi, don’t worry! Remember who your God is! Take heart, God is more than gracious and full of mercy all the way down to the seemingly insignificant details of life. He will indeed be gentle! Continue to trust Him, He knows you and cares for you.”
No comments:
Post a Comment