Thursday, June 27, 2013

Restless and Aimless


I am in one of those moods, where I feel as though I should be doing something more… but I am not.  One of those moods where I reflect and realize I could have done something differently… but I did not.  Those moods where I would be doing something more except for the long list of justifications for… why not. 

Should have, could have, would have.

As I sit and reflect on my current situation and the daily routine of life, I am wondering if I am thinking too much?  Worried that I am comparing myself to others and the invisible standard that I have set for myself.  Anxious that I am excusing my guilt rather than turning and repenting from my guilt.

Guilt.

You are probably wondering what exactly I am talking about.  And to be honest, I don’t really know myself.  Ha ha… I guess just the weariness of routine and the monotonous daily activities of being a wife and mother.  The lack of motivation to try harder or do more.  Just content with daily living where nothing seems urgent or necessary, so I can just push it off to another day.

Someone made a passing comment that pediatricians recommend that your children only watch “X” amount of television each day.  My kids watch more.  Thus, guilt fuels my preoccupation to make my kids do something else more productive.

Cluttered drawers and closets, stuffed with things we no longer need.  A passing blog post about a de-clutter challenge to organize your home shows up in my facebook fed.  Thus, guilt pressures me with the need to purge and organize so that others may see and praise my abilities to rise up and meet the standard.

Confusing the important with the urgent.  Lacking motivation to do the important things and responding only to the urgent things in this monotonous stage of life where nothing seems urgent so I often do nothing at all.  So guilt appears as I reflect on the seemingly fruitlessness of my daily efforts, as I slowly give up and say “who cares and why does it even matter?”

Happy Hippo, Angry Duck
By Sandra Boynton

Hello, Little Person! How are you today?
Is your mood quite terrific or only okay?
Are you happy as a hippo? Or angry as a duck?
Maybe sad as a chicken? (can you sadly say “cluck cluck”?)
Are you grumpy as a moose? Or excited as a dog?
Worried as a rabbit? Contented as a frog?
Perhaps, like a pig, you are sweetly amused.
Or perhaps, like a cow, you’re completely confused.
You might feel that, somehow, you’ve lost all your fizz.
Or you’re frazzled like a…um… frazzled thing.  (I’m not sure what it is.)
Well, I hope you are happy.  But if you are not,
you have friends who will help you.  We like you a lot.
And a difficult mood is not here to stay. 
Everyone’s moods will change day to day.
Unless you’re that duck.  He’s always this way.

Why are my moods tossed to and fro?  Why are my thoughts preoccupied with each passing statement about my role and calling as a wife and mother?  How can I keep from becoming that duck?  True my mood will change daily but how can I anchor my soul to keep it grounded in the Word rather than tossed about in the wisdom of the world?

I need to flee for refuge in my Savior, for I need the promises of God to anchor my soul.

“we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us. We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf, having become a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.” Hebrews 6:18-20

My dear friend, remembering God’s promises will get you through your dark parenting moments.  You will need to know and cling to the truths of God’s Word. (Motherhood: Hope for Discouraged Moms by Brenda Payne)

I have not been viewing my circumstances and role with biblical lenses.  As a result my focus is distorted.  I need to
receive [God’s] words
    and treasure up [His] commandments,
making [my] ear attentive to wisdom
    and inclining [my] heart to understanding;
yes, if [I] call out for insight
    and raise [my] voice for understanding,
if [I] seek it like silver
    and search for it as for hidden treasures,
then [I] will understand the fear of the Lord
    and find the knowledge of God.
(Proverbs 2:1-6)

Yes, this is the promise of God.  And this is the anchor that will bring rest to my soul and direction to my walk in life.  I will trust the promises of God, for in them I have hope.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:50 PM

    God calls you to be obedient to His will. I think it is important to remember you are the mom to your two boys, do what you think is right for them in raising them up in a way to know God. You also are the only wife to your husband and only you can be the one to be his helpmate and love him in such a way that the boys will see a marriage with unity. I say this because I can get into a "guilt" because how others do things or don't do things. I have to be careful to not please man but please God. He wants you to learn how to love your husband and boys, and that takes it work but it brings much joy when you do things that help them see Christ in you. Some days are hard, but is that when your eyes are on someone else that have their drawers all in order and you criticize yourself because you sat down for 15 minutes to rest and you could have still been working? God has given you a home to make it the place where your men want to come home to---what a joy that is. You may feel out of sort one day--go make a mud pie with the boys and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria5:02 PM

    I agree with the comment above--our aim should be to please God, not man or an external, shallow idea of what we "should" do with our children. I know what pleases my husband, and I aim to do that (like having food for him when he gets home from work). And I think for children what they remember most is the time you spend with them whether it's watching a movie with them or playing with them or reading. It's easier for me to realize that now while Samantha is off from school for summer--I miss her when she's gone.

    ReplyDelete