In my effort to try and comprehend my situation I looked to
others. Observing the lives of
others from the outside I perceived they had no struggles, so loneliness took
root in my heart. Feeling alone in
my failures my mind entered into depression. Like a downward spiral quickly gaining speed, the more I
reflected and tried to comprehend my situation in my own understanding, the
more spiraled.
Then one afternoon I was going on a walk with my
husband. We were both discouraged
because our sin and failures were so evident in many areas of our lives, yet we
longed for obedience. Then my husband said something that stopped me in my
tracks and made my heart smile. He
said, “Good thing seeing and recognizing our inadequacies is a requirement for
the Christian life.”
Then I had hope.
Oh weary soul of mine, do you not know, have you not
heard?!?
“But when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a
wearisome task, until I went into the sanctuary
of God.” (Psalm 73:16-17)
“Remember my affliction and my wanderings, the
wormwood and the gall! My soul continually
remembers it and is bowed down within me.
But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The
steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his
mercies never come to an end; they are new
every morning; great is your faithfulness.
‘The Lord is
my portion,’ says my soul, ‘therefore I will
hope in him.’” (Lamentations 3:19-24)
“Those who are well have no need of a
physician, but those who are sick.” (Luke 5:31)
“I do not nullify the grace of God, for if
righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.”
(Galatians 5:21)
“‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my
power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly
of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of
Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions,
and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)
“We rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces
endurance, and endurance produces character, and
character produces hope, 5 and
hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our
hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.” (Romans 5:3-5)
“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy
laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and
lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For
my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)
“Now may the God of peace himself sanctify
you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless
at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; he will
surely do it.” (1 Thessalonians
5:23-24)
“Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep
your word.” (Psalm 119:67)
My failures, inadequacies, and sin were once a burden but
now they give me hope! Christ came
to save sinners and my sin reminds me of my need for a Savior! And when I remember my Savior my soul
is at rest. A single glance at my
Savior stops me from my downward spiral into despair and I once again have
hope! Such hope allows me to
rejoice in my affliction and suffering.
Why? Because it creates in
me a longing, an eagerness, a thirst, a hunger, and a need for my Savior and
Lord!
My favorite part of a trial is right at the very very very
bottom. When you are broken and
lost in your total helplessness and then the Spirit reminds you of truth! When I am at the spot my sin is so
clearly laid against the work of Christ.
The other day I was at that spot.
I knew I needed to pray but I was too numb to pray. My responsibilities and failures were
too much. So instead I listened to
a song. Here
is that song (if you go to that link you can listen to the song for free
and read the lyrics).
1. Pensive, doubting, fearful heart,
Hear what Christ the Savior says.
Every word should joy impart,
Change thy mourning into praise.
Yes, he speaks, and speaks to thee,
May he help thee to believe!
Then thou presently wilt see,
Thou hast little cause to grieve.
2. "Fear thou not, nor be ashamed,
All thy sorrows soon shall end.
I who heaven and earth have framed,
Am thy husband and thy friend.
I the High and Holy One,
Israel's GOD by all adored,
As thy Savior will be known,
Thy Redeemer and thy Lord.”
3. “For a moment I withdrew,
And thy heart was filled with pain,
But my mercies I'll renew,
Thou shalt soon rejoice again.
Though I scorn to hide my face,
Very soon my wrath shall cease.
‘Tis but for a moment's space,
Ending in eternal peace.”
4. “When my peaceful bow appears,
Painted on the watery cloud,
'Tis to dissipate thy fears,
Lest the earth should be overflowed.
'Tis an emblem too of grace,
Of my covenant love a sign.
Though the mountains leave their place,
Thou shalt be forever mine.
5. Though afflicted, tempest-tossed,
Comfortless awhile thou art,
Do not think thou canst be lost,
Thou art graven on my heart.
All thy walls I will repair,
Thou shalt be rebuilt anew,
And in thee it shall appear,
What a God of love can do.
Hear what Christ the Savior says.
Every word should joy impart,
Change thy mourning into praise.
Yes, he speaks, and speaks to thee,
May he help thee to believe!
Then thou presently wilt see,
Thou hast little cause to grieve.
2. "Fear thou not, nor be ashamed,
All thy sorrows soon shall end.
I who heaven and earth have framed,
Am thy husband and thy friend.
I the High and Holy One,
Israel's GOD by all adored,
As thy Savior will be known,
Thy Redeemer and thy Lord.”
3. “For a moment I withdrew,
And thy heart was filled with pain,
But my mercies I'll renew,
Thou shalt soon rejoice again.
Though I scorn to hide my face,
Very soon my wrath shall cease.
‘Tis but for a moment's space,
Ending in eternal peace.”
4. “When my peaceful bow appears,
Painted on the watery cloud,
'Tis to dissipate thy fears,
Lest the earth should be overflowed.
'Tis an emblem too of grace,
Of my covenant love a sign.
Though the mountains leave their place,
Thou shalt be forever mine.
5. Though afflicted, tempest-tossed,
Comfortless awhile thou art,
Do not think thou canst be lost,
Thou art graven on my heart.
All thy walls I will repair,
Thou shalt be rebuilt anew,
And in thee it shall appear,
What a God of love can do.
credits
Words by John Newton, Music by Justin Smith ©2012
Justin Smith Music
No comments:
Post a Comment