In a previous post I shared a frequent question I receive from those who learn that our family is making efforts to move to the Philippines. That question is "are you excited?" I am not sure why, but I haven't received that questioned in awhile (which is good because I don't like that question and am never sure how to answer it honestly). But this morning it came to mind because I realized, "I am excited to move to the Philippines."
Why? Because I am eager to live in a society that is more relational focused rather than task and time focused.
Being task and time orientated is very efficient and productive. It leads to organization and structure. But on the flip side, because we are all fallen and sinners, it can easily be distorted and be a path to worshiping an idol of the heart. My pursuit to be task and time orientated is often motivated by my desire to be in control, sovereign and autonomous. When I am efficient and productive I expect to be praised. I need to constantly examine my heart to make sure I am pursuing Christ alone, and not my own righteousness.
One of the best things I ever did to break my sinful focus on time was to marry Allan Luciano. I remember one of the earliest communication problems we had was over time. When it was time to leave the house I would often get stressed, anxious and angry when we were not on schedule (okay I still get like this but I am slowly changing and growing). Allan asked me why it bothered me so much. I said because when I am late it reflects on my character. He disagreed. Allan's family constantly demonstrates the value of people over time. Constantly they serve our family, sacrificing their own schedules in order to prioritize our plans over their own. Perhaps that is a general description for most families, but they do it all eagerly and without the least hint of complaint.
So if marrying Allan Luciano (the cutest Filipino I know) has already helped me, imagine the benefit when I am immersed in the culture completely! It can be an uncomfortable process, learning to think differently, but I am excited to observe and learn how to prioritize people over tasks.
No comments:
Post a Comment