The other week the pastor at my church ended his sermon with
an illustration. The illustration was
about a man dressed up in a Statue of Liberty costume that regularly dances on
the corner of an intersection near his house. He used that regular occurrence in his life to illustrate
the main point of his sermon. When
I was first saved that was the part of the sermons that fascinated me the most,
the illustrations. I was intrigued
with more than just the mere story, I was captivated and curious how the pastor
could use such regular daily life experiences to illustrate his main
points. You see, I didn’t think
that way and I was amazed at people who used the Bible to shape their view on
life. I wanted to be able to do
the same thing but all I saw was the dancing Statue of Liberty and nothing
more.
Before I was saved I couldn’t see my sin. For the life of me I really couldn’t
tell you how I was a sinner. I
knew the Bible said I was a sinner, but I couldn’t name one specific sin. I remember coming across the verse 1
John 1:10, “If we say we have not sinned, we make [God] a liar, and His word is
not in us.” So I concluded that my sin was saying I had no sin.
After I was saved God was faithful to teach me how to clearly
see my sin. One means He used was my time at The Master’s College going through
the Masters of Biblical Counseling program. I foolishly thought I was going through the program solely
to learn how to help counsel others.
When I started I had no idea the impact it would have on my own
life. The biggest thing I learned
from the program was how to think biblically and how to view life through the
Scriptures. It was both exciting
and overwhelming at the same time to finally be able to concretely identify and
name the sins in my life. At first
it started out exciting, but quickly it changed to weariness as my eyes were
opened to how utterly sinful I am.
Ironically my struggle went from one extreme to the
other. Before I was saved I was
blind and didn’t think I had any sin at all. I was very proud in my self-righteousness. So you would think that with the new ability
to clearly identify my sin would come humility—but no, that was not the
case. At this point I went from
one extreme to the other. Instead
of priding myself in my supposed “sinlessness”, I now prided myself in my
ability to perceive, understand, and identify the nuances of sin in my
life. But there was something
missing. What was missing was the
other half of the story. After
identifying my sin I would stop. I
failed to finish the other half of the story, the good news.
I share all this because this is a danger and temptation I
have when writing posts for my blog.
Being able to clearly identify my sin is just the first step. And it is useless without repenting
from my sin. Repentance is a
“U-turn”, turning away from sin and turning to God. After clearly identifying my sin I then need to turn to God
through the good news of the gospel.
Something I am working on is formulating specific goals for
all areas of my life. I realize
that I have lost my focus. I don’t know what I am aiming for in my mothering. I
have forgotten what the goal is for my role as a wife. So I am thinking through and
formulating specific goals for 2012 in all areas of my life (motherhood,
marriage, housekeeping, ministry/others, personal, physical, and support
raising). I am really excited
about this. There are a few blogs
I have read that has encouraged me to start this process (Simple Mom and Money Saving Mom). But more than just managing my time and
making it purposeful (I really don’t need more “to do” lists), I want to redeem
my time and make sure everything I do is for the motive of glorifying God.
That’s where this blog and specifically this post come
in. A friend mentioned that it
would be beneficial for a missionary to pick up a hobby. So that in working towards long term
goals, which you may never get the priviledge of seeing the fruition of in your
life time, you can have a hobby which has a specific start and completion. A hobby. Yikes. This is
one of those ice breaker get to know you questions that I try to avoid. “So what are your hobbies?” I never knew how to answer that
one. I am not crafty and don’t
really do any regular sports. In
my leisure time I like to read and drink a good cup of coffee. Now that doesn’t quite qualify as a
hobby. But then I realized that
this blog can become my hobby. And
a hobby with a purpose too! I want
to use my training at The Master’s College in Biblical Counseling to bless
others. It is my desire to share
my day-to-day life circumstances for the purpose of explaining how the Bible
shapes my thinking. And I think it
will be a good discipline for my own life to, to constantly reflect on viewing
my life through gospel lenses.
This is where I hope my readers will help keep me
accountable—making sure I tell the other half of the story. So how is the Statue of Liberty like
the gospel? Well the pastor used
this illustration to emphasize his main point which is “Is it okay to remain silent
when you have good news?” (Jesse Johnson preached this sermon from 2 Kings 6:24-7:20.) His three points were (1) you have to know God’s Word, (2)
you have to believe God’s Word, and (3) you have to share God’s Word. As I seek to share the stories of my
everyday life on this blog, it is my desire to do so through gospel centered
lenses. Is it okay for me to
remain silent on how to Word of God practically applies to the everyday
circumstances of my life when I have such good news? No. I was
wonderfully blessed with training from godly men at The Master’s College on how
to take the truths of God’s word and apply them to life. And it would be my privilege to speak
up and not remain silent.
I want to comfort others by allowing my life to be an
illustration of what it looks like to bring God’s Word to bear on real life
situations.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4 “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord
Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in
all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any
affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.”
I am not called to convince people to believe in God’s Word,
but I am called to open my mouth and not remain silent and declare the
blessings and truths God has entrusted to me.
Romans 10:14 “For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord
will be saved. But how are they to
call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never
heard? And how are they to hear
without someone preaching?”
No comments:
Post a Comment