Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Filipino Food: Lumpia & Adobo

So I made fried vegetable lumpia (Filipino egg roll) and chicken adobo.  Although I have made adobo several times before so only the lumpia was a new recipe for me.  It didn't turn out half bad.  I got the lumpia recipe from my friend Marie. 

First up, get the boys settled so I can start to work on the lumpia.  I put on a movie in the other room for them.

 
Here are almost all of my ingredients laid out ready to go.  I finally figured out how to listen to a sermon on my Kindle Fire (much easier than I thought or tried to make it out to be).  So I had my trusty kindle to refer to for my recipe, as well as a listening device for the sermon my pastor preached last week.



WARNING DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.  When you cut an onion you might get two pieces that look like the ones below.  What do they remind you of?  The eyes of a Precious Moments doll, right?  I must strongly caution you to resist the urge to hold up the onion pieces to your eyes and turn to your younger brother and ask him "what am I?"  He will only think you are a weird older sister and before he has a chance to you reply you will realize your stupity and cry out the answer for him, "stupid, I am stupid!!" (ha ha... a little childhood memory with my brother Nathan).



By this time my older son got bored with the movie, so I set up a "work station for him" and let him "cook" and measure.  He also really enjoyed eating the bean sprouts.  Oooo does that count as one of his veggies??


I slowly added the veggies to the wok and cooked them up.  But... perhaps I was distracted by my lovely sermon, because I forgot to add the soy sauce and patis (fish sauce)!  Yikers!!  Ooopsy!!  Still turned out okay since I was able to make a dipping sauce, you hardly noticed.


Here they are, the little lumpias all rolled up and ready to go swimming!


Yay!!  Here is the finished product below.  The adobo turned out pretty good as well.  My American parents really liked it, but then again they have nothing to compare it to so they are not picky.  :)  What is missing in the picture below?  If you are Asian you will notice right away, if you are not Asian it might take you a little while to figure it out.  Rice!  I didn't serve any rice!  ha ha.... not a big deal for my white parents, but my husband thought I was joking when I told him there was no rice.  ha ha... next time I'll have to serve it with rice.


1 comment:

  1. Seriously. I think I need to try making some Filipino food - these dishes look SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete