Easter Sunday is tomorrow. Sadly I don’t think our family will be going to our church service because our little son is sick with a fever. ☹ But Allan and I did get to attend the Good Friday service, for which I am thankful! ☺ So in honor of Easter I thought I’d do an “Easter” post for the blog. A good excuse to think through and formulate some of my thoughts.
The particular part of the Easter Story (a.k.a. the gospel message) that has been on my mind off and on recently is the resurrection. I remember one time a few years ago in a small group I shared with my friends that I didn’t understand the full importance of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Sure, I knew that was part of the story – He died on the cross for my sins and then was raised again. I knew that if you left out the resurrection of Jesus from the dead then there wouldn’t be any gospel message. But instead you’d have just a “great prophet” dead in a tomb. So I knew I couldn’t ignore the resurrection, I just didn’t understand why it was so important.
In my confused understanding about the resurrection I didn’t know why everyone was so amazed that Jesus rose from the dead. He is God after all, why would He NOT raise from the dead? In my confused mind, I equated that similar to Superman flying fast or dodging a bullet, that was what Superman was suppose to do – right? (I don’t mean this to disrespectful in any way, I am just explaining my finite misunderstanding).
So because I didn’t understand the resurrection of Jesus Christ correctly I never really meditated on that part of the gospel. When I would sin or struggle with temptation I would never meditate on that part of the gospel. During the repentance process of a particular sin, my husband or good friend would often remind me to focus and meditate on the gospel. So I would exclusively meditate on part of the gospel where Jesus died for my sins. I would think through how my current sin was one reason Jesus had to die. And because I ONLY thought about that part of the gospel I would often recall the gospel message and feel condemned. “Oh that is right, my sin killed Jesus Christ.”
Now that is part of the gospel message – but it is only part of it. It is incomplete without the resurrection! And lately I have realized what hope, encouragement, and power lies in the resurrection of Jesus Christ!
1 Corinthians 15:17 “If Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins.”
Romans 4:25 “[Jesus] was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification.”
Romans 6:4 “We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.”
Philippians 3:8a,10a “Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord…that I may know him and the power of his resurrection…”
Any power I have to walk in newness of life, that is to live an obedient life according to the Word of God, comes from the resurrection of Jesus Christ. It is because He was raised that I too was raised from my dead and helpless state and am now able to live a righteousness life. No wonder why I felt even more condemned and hopeless when I sinned and would ONLY meditate on the death of Christ on the cross. For it is in the resurrection of Jesus where power, hope and newness of life is found!
I’ve realized this is the “happy” part of Easter! I am so thankful and excited now to understand more fully the importance of Christ’s resurrection! Happy Easter! He has risen indeed!
Thanks for sharing this truly happy part of Easter! Sorry to hear Jakob was sick!
ReplyDelete