Thursday, April 15, 2010

Week 12 - Thank God for the gift of smiles!

It is hard to believe how much Jakob has grown in just 12 weeks of life! He has definitely transformed from newborn into baby. His arms and legs are chubby with little squishy folds of skins where his joints should be. He can focus so much more now too. He sees me while he is in his pack n' play and will follow me around the room with his eyes. During "tummy time" I place him on his tummy with his arms straight out (like a push up) and he falls and tips over to his back. It makes me laugh because it reminds me of a rolly polly bug when it flips on it's back and can't flip over again.

But my biggest joy of his growth by far is his smiles! I can remember the first time he smiled at me. It was during the first few weeks of his life. I had just sat down with him to get ready to feed him, yet again. It was at a time when I was overwhelmed at the whole process of being a new mom. I had just changed his diaper twice - because he messed the first one I put on in the middle of changing. The hamper of dirty clothes was full to the top, and I just did laundry the day before. But then as I was getting ready to fed him he stopped and looked at me and smiled. It was probably only for a couple seconds. But my heart melted! I said, "Allan! Allan! He smiled! He smiled! Jakob smiled at me!" And then I started to cry. I had no idea what his smile would do to my heart. I was an overwhelmed new mother and beginning to think I would never have a "mother's love" for this little creature that all he seemed to do was eat, sleep, poop, and spit up. But it all changed when he smiled!

Thank God for the gift of smiles! I truly saw the gentleness of my God when Jakob smiled at me! And now several weeks later, Jakob is smiling so much! I think I found my favorite stage of his life so far. He has such a huge, genuine smile! He smiles at anyone too! If he is fed and well rested - then when you hold him he'll smile and coo at you! Every time he does it I am reminded or the feeling I felt when he first smiled at me several weeks ago. The feeling was such comfort to me at a time when I was overwhelmed and beginning to despair. I hope Jakob's smile will always serve as a reminder of the gentleness and kindness of my God!

I've attached a video to help share Jakob's smile and coos with you. He begins to smile more towards the end of the video. During the first part he looks more startled and wide-eyed... ha ha... he wasn't sure what the camera was.

2 comments:

  1. He's really cute, Sandi :). I think it's hilarious to hear little babies try to talk before they find their voice. You can see by the expression on their faces that they really want to say something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coen is smiling a ton too and it's such a blessing! Yay for cute babies!!

    ReplyDelete