Wednesday, April 08, 2015

Language Learning....It's More Fun in the Philippines!

Okay, so I really don't know if learning a language is more fun in the Philippines, I just wanted a catchy title.  :)  Since language learning is usually a major part of one's adjustment to life in another country, I thought I would take time to do a short post and update about my language learning journey so far in Tagalog.

In college the one course I dropped out of, switched my major because, and almost quite college altogether was accounting.  In class I was just completely lost and confused and did not like any aspect of it.  Fast-forward, five years later...I was then in a full-time job as an accounting clerk and loved my job and found accounting fascinating!  The textbook learning vs. practical real life learning was a big thing for me.  Seeing this about myself has helped me in how I approach learning Tagalog.

Verbs
Let's take verbs as an example.  Open a textbook on how to learn Tagalog and flip to the verb section. What might you find?  A detailed, overly confusing, and intricate verbal system!  A friend tried to explain the vast variety of verbs by taking the verb "kain", which means eat, and showing all of the various ways you can conjugate it.  Take a look...


KAIN (EAT) 
kain (to eat, used as an invitation), 
tiga-kain (one designated to eat), 
kumakain (present progressive), 
kakain (will eat), 
kumain (imperative, simple past), 

kainan (a place or event where you eat), 
pakain-kain (to eat sporadicly), 
pakain (event where you can eat), 
ipakain (makes someone eat something), 
pinapakain (feed regularly), 
kinain (past), 
papakainin (will feed), 
pagkain (infinitive, noun for food), 
pagpapakain (gerund), 
kakainin (something to eat in the future), 
papakainin (to allow to eat), 
magpapakain (to serve food or feed in the future), 

papakain (shortened form of magpapakain, used to connote it will be done in the near future), 

kinakain-kain (something has been eaten sporadically in the past), 
kinainan (eating happened at a location), 
kinakainan (a place where people habitually eat), 
kinakain (it can be eaten, currently eating)
kakainan (a place where eating will happen), 
kinakainkainan (eating sporadically happens at the location), 
nagpakain (past tense of pakain, to feed), 
nagpapakain (someone who habitually feeds), 
magkainan (many people have an event where they will eat), 
magkakainan (two or more will eat each other, if stress is on the second syllable, if stress is on the penultimate syllable an eating event will happen), 
magkakainkainan (will pretend to eat, or mock eating)
kainin (will eat, a direct imperative). 

Opening a textbook and trying to learn the verbal system this way for me was like taking an accounting class in college.  It was confusing and caused me to loose all motivation.  

Contrast that with the children's book I was reading the other day called "Mahal Kita, Inay!" (I love you Mother!).  I came across the phrase "Hindi ka ba naulanan?" I recognized the root word "ulan" (rain) in the word "naulanan" but I didn't understand it's meaning.  So I asked my husband.  He said "it means 'to get rained on'".  How fascinating that you can conjugate one word to mean all that!  I was then motivated and eager to learn more about Tagalog verbs.

Study Plan
Once I recognized the difference ways to learn I then tried to change the way I approached learning Tagalog.  One advice I was given was if you make learning a language a habit and if you enjoy the journey you will stick with it.  So gone is the strictly textbook method of learning and in with things I enjoy!

Media
Another tip I was given was replacing your media intake with your target language.  I found a historical drama miniseries, Katipunan, about a key point in the Philippines history.  How fascinating to learn about the history of the country and at the same time be exposed to Tagalog.  Another fun thing is Disney cartoons dubbed in Tagalog.  Some of the very same cartoons we used to watch in the States are dubbed and aired on network tv here in Tagalog.  It is fun seeing Mickey Mouse and Sophia the First speak in Tagalog and recognize some of the words.  

But my favorite form of media to use when studying Tagalog is music.  I love finding a Filipino song, listening to it, reading along with the lyrics and learning the words.  Then later taking the time to translate what it means.  It is like a little puzzle.  I like how learning through music lets me practice my pronunciation and how each little song "project" has a clear start and end.  It gives a sense of completion.  And it is sometimes funny (and potentially embarrassing) to be singing along with the lyrics only to have my husband come and whisper in my ear "oh wow! do you know what you are saying?"  Karaoke is a popular pastime here, and one of my language learning dreams is to get our own karaoke system at home so I can practice.  

Everyday Real Life
Using a textbook and availing the help of a trained tutor is invaluable for language learning and it definitely has it's place in my own language learning efforts.  But being able to see the practical, fun side of the language in everyday life was key for my motivation to open that textbook and meet with a tutor.  Without seeing the practical and enjoyable side, learning Tagalog was burdensome and felt like overpaying for a warranty plan on your cell phone.  Sure it might be wise and helpful to have a warranty plan, but what are the chances you'll actually get to use it in a city that mostly understands English anyways?  One way it helped me see the practical use of the language was translating the everyday phrases, commands and questions we say as a family and use that as the content of my language study.  This helped me see the immediate usefulness of the language and I was able to practice it right away.

People!
But more than karaoke, Tagalog speaking Mickey, and practical daily phrases, it is people that are the most motivating.  There is a phrase that I am beginning to hear repeated often when I am in a conversation with a local Filipino.  It is, Dumudugo ba ang ilong ko? Which translates to "Is my nose bleeding?"  It is used to explain that the massive brain power it takes to speak in English causes one's nose to bleed.  Just yesterday I was asked the common question "Do you understand Tagalog?"  To which I replied "Nagaaral ako ng Tagalog", meaning "I am studying Tagalog."  The person who asked me was so relieved and relaxed to be able to speak in Tagalog and not have to worry about the potential of having their nose bleed.  Seeing her relief and gratitude motivates me to keep practicing. 

I want to learn how the Filipino thinks.  I believe the common characteristics of a Filipino person as hospitable, warm, loving, fun, resourceful and giving are partly influenced by their language, and I want to learn how to think that way.  I want to get to know the Filipino people, and learning Tagalog is just one means in order to do so.  







No comments:

Post a Comment