Thursday, March 19, 2015

A Drink of Water From Proverbs 3

My son, do not forget my teaching...peace they will add to you! 

(Oh soul, have you forgotten?  Do you not know?  Have you not heard?  There is peace waiting for me within the pages of Scripture.  And its calling out to me.)

Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you!
bind them around your neck
write them on the tablet of your heart

(Really?  Steadfast love?  A relentless, unchanging pursuit? Pursuit as fierce as a lion with its prey?  Faithfulness as unchanging as the cycle of the sun?  My heart is fickle, I cannot trust it, so bind that relentless love around my neck and eche it on my heart so that I do not forget!)

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding. 
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.

(How many times do I hear these words and each time they are refreshment to my soul!  How wearisome it is trying to trust in my own imagination!  How burdensome it is to lean and rest on my own limited sight.  No matter how hard I try I can never trace out my path.)

Be not wise in your own eyes;
fear the Lord and turn away from evil
It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones!

(My sight is limited, my understanding is finite. I need someone greater than myself.  Someone who is omniscient, someone who contains all wisdom.)

My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline or be weary of his reproof,
for the Lord reproves him whom he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights.

(Really?  You delight in me Lord?  You love me Lord?  I can trust in your faithfulness.  I will rest in your goodness.)

Blessed is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gets understanding...
for the gain from her is
better than silver
better than gold
more precious than jewels
and nothing you desire can compare with her!
Her ways are ways of pleasantness,
and all her paths are peace.
She is a tree of life to those who lay hold of her;
and those who hold her fast are called blessed!

(In my own wisdom I feel like a bush in the desert.  I need this wisdom.  Really, nothing I desire can compare?!  I will hold fast to this tree!)

The LORD
by wisdom founded the earth;
by understanding he established the heavens
by his knowledge the deeps broke open and the clouds drop down the dew.

(How great and how vast is the wisdom of God!  Creation itself stands as witness.)

My son, do not lose sight of these - keep sound wisdom and discretion,
and they will be
life for your soul
and adornment for your neck!

Then you will walk on your way securely, and your foot will not stumble.

(Oh soul you remember now, don't you?  With rememberance of truth, refreshment floods my soul with hope and strength.  I am held firmly in the steadfast love of my Savior.)


No comments:

Post a Comment