Wednesday, November 12, 2014

God's Steadfast Love Towards a Weary Language Learner

-->
It’s been said that providence is more amazing than miracles.  For miracles are God supernaturally intervening to bring about a certain goal by defying the laws of nature.  But providence is God using ordinary choices, decisions, desires, and circumstances to bring about a certain goal.  Every now and then God’s sovereign and loving hand is so obviously apparent on my life that I stop and tell myself, “whoa I better write this down so I don’t forget.”  This post is my attempt to capture God’s amazing providence in my life recently regarding my discouragement over language learning. 
·      The other night Allan couldn’t sleep.  He had been doing a lot of heavy reading for a project and was purposefully looking for a book to refresh his soul.  He opened up a book that he downloaded for free about a year prior.  It was the title that caught his weary eye, “Nothing is Impossible with God” by Rose Marie Miller.
·      Wednesday, October 29th, 8:00am – Burdened and discouraged by the overwhelming task of learning another language, I finally broke down and cried.
·      Wednesday, October 29th, 11:00am - I attend the woman’s bible study at our church, where they ask me if I will lead the next study and they let me pick the topic.  I agreed and looked at my calendar to see what the date of my talk would be and notice it would be the day before Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving isn’t celebrated here but it is my favorite holiday so I made a mental note to choose a passage about thankfulness.  Psalm 103 immediately came to mind.
·      Thursday, October 30th - Allan is encouraged by the book he started reading the other night and shares it with me, encouraging me to read it as well.  I start reading it and was struck by a particular point the author makes several times.  I shared this quote from the book on my facebook page:
o   God knew we could never make it alone, so he sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts “by whom we cry, ‘Abba Father!’” (Romans 8:15).  The problem, I would tell women, is that we act like orphans, living as if it were still up to us, living as if the Spirit never came and could never teach us or guide us in all the affairs of life.  We go through the day believing that it is up to us to figure out how to solve our problems and get on with life.
·      Friday, October 31st, 8:43am -  I receive a text from a friend asking me if I want to memorize Psalm 103:1-5 with her.
·      Friday, October 31st - That night I am checking facebook and see a status on a friend’s page.  She shared a link about an online bible study for “busy busy moms”.  It’s a 30 day bible study on Psalm 103.
·      Saturday, November 1st - I am talking to my close friend from back home.  She said she has been wanting to memorize big portions of Scripture.  She asks if I want to do it with her.  We decide on Psalm 103.
Needless to say after that orchestration of events I am now studying Psalm 103.  Within the first week of study the author and context of the psalm was covered.  The psalm was written by David later in his life when he had a keener sense of sin, preciousness of pardon and frailty of life.  David wrote the wonderful words of Psalm 103 after:
·      Sinning with Bathsheba
·      Murdering Uriah
·      Receiving rebuke by Nathan
·      Mourning the loss of his baby
·      Enduring the scandal of his children Amnon and Tamar
·      Enduring the shock of his children Absalom and Amnon
·      Fleeing for his life from Absalom
·      Mourning the loss of Absalom
These events gave David a keener sense of his sin, without which he wouldn’t be able to write Psalm 103. 
Psalm 103 emphasizes the steadfast love of the Lord several times.  The Lord surrounded me with steadfast love when he redeemed me (v. 4).  He is abounding with steadfast love (v. 8).  As high as the heavens are from the earth so great is His steadfast love towards me (v. 11).  And his steadfast love has no beginning or end (v. 17). 
Steadfast.  Firmly fixed.  Endurance and perseverance.
Before God providentially displayed his steadfast love towards me in Psalm 103 I was discouraged by learning Tagalog.  Did you notice that little event in the timeline I outlined above?  Did you notice the date and time I was in tears?  I saw my failures and temptations to sin.  I was lost without a clear conviction in my mind what my goal and hope was in my language learning efforts.  Why go through all that time and effort to learn another language only to be put to shame in the end by my failures?  And did you also notice the time and date of when God providentially responded?
“We rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. “ Romans 5:3-5
I can rejoice in the pressures and burdens of learning another language.  Why?  Because I know that it will teach me perseverance, learning how to endure and remain under trying times.  And a steadfast character gives evidence of the new creation I am in Christ!  Revealing a hope that I can anchor my soul in that will not put me to shame or deceive me.  A joyful and confident expectation where I can sing the truths of Psalm 103 with David:

“Bless the Lord O my soul! 
O my soul!   
Worship His Holy Name.   
Sing like never before….”

No comments:

Post a Comment