But with plane tickets now purchased, our family has entered a new season of life. This season is short and will pass quickly (five more weeks to be exact), but it is a condensed, intense and chaotic time. In a lot of ways I finally "feel" like a missionary. Or at least the expectations of what I always assumed missionary life to be like - characterized by lack of routine in the midst of a full schedule, with flexibility a key ingredient to making it through with a smile on your face. I realize the next five weeks will pass quickly, and soon we will be in yet another season (that of adjusting to life in a new country). But for now here are a few snippets into our life:
Doctor Appointments
It was set up like a kinkos, where their menu and services are on the wall and you walk up to the counter for a consultation. They said they were trying to mimic an Apple store with their counter tops and fun things to display. Apple sells computers and the Wellness Mart sells medicines for the body - so they had body parts and models on display. The boys had fun with the muscle man in the corner, they called him "the monster" and would run and giggle and hide from it all the while yelling "monster!"
Passports & Visas
A couple of the requirements I was surprised I need in order to apply for a Visa are a medical clearance and a police clearance. The medical clearance requires I have certain tests done and bring in the results. One of those tests was a chest x-ray (pictured above). Another test is better not discussed. Let's just say that 4 straight years of changing diapers didn't prepare me for such a test. :)
Church Visits
The last two weeks we visited two more churches. Allan preached at both of them. The first one was Blessed Hope Christian Church in Pasadena (a mostly Filipino congregation). We have visited this church before, so it was nice to return for another visit before we move. A couple memorable highlights actually occurred after service. One was Jakob jumping from their steps and sumersaulting onto their grass, then doing a snow angel on his back in the dirt. Another was Allan getting attacked by bees from a nest in a nearby tree (ironic and extra funny for me since I am the one afraid of bees - he didn't get stung though, so no worries.) But most memorable was being able to talk with the church members to hear their excitment and own memories of living in the Philippines.
The second church was Grace Alliance Church of Chula Vista. The boys stayed with their cousins when we attended this church - so with just me and Allan attending it felt like we were on a date. That was nice because it meant I was able to sit and listen to Allan preach, which is not always possible when I have to tend to the little ones. I got to sit in the front row too! The building this church meets in actually has four separate churches use their facilities each Sunday. Just another unique insight we get to see when we visit a variety of churches.
Sorting & Packing
With help from my sister's MIL (mother in law) I finally got started on going through our stuff. I actually had good intentions and have had this on my to do list since last fall. I assumed if I got a head start on it back then, then I wouldn't have to rush when crunch time came. But I was overwhelmed and didn't know where to start, so I never did get started on it. Thankfully my sister's MIL is one of those unique individuals who loves to clean and organize. So she has come over a few times to help me get started, with lots of helpful tips on the most logical and efficient way to approach such a daunting task.We try to only touch each item once. Then we sort them into various piles: garage sale, pack for shipping (via boat which takes a couple months), pack for flying (to take with us when we fly for immediate use when we arrive), pack for storage (to be shipped at a later date). I thought it would be an emotional task, but it feels great to sort through and organize all our stuff. With only bringing the stuff we really need, it simplifies things a lot.
Ordination
In his "spare" time, Allan is preparing for ordination with our home church, Grace Community Church. When Allan came home from his meeting learning the requirements involved in ordination I asked him "so how does it look?" His response, "well basically it is a summary of all of seminary." Ordination involves both interviews by elders and 4 separate oral exams. Those exams are pastoral ministry, bible knowledge, church history, and systematic theology. Each exam is given by separate elders and an hour long. The picture above is just some of Allan's study material. I think the Lightning McQueen with a Hulk bandaide on top of the pile of books gives good insight to Allan's task at hand. Find time to study between three little boys age 4 and under.
Anchoring my thoughts during temptations of anxiety
With no routine being my "new normal" for the next five weeks, it is very tempting to allow my thoughts to wander and find myself anxious. All I have to do is look at my calendar or to do list and compare them to my energy, ability, and understanding. But when I anchor my thoughts in Truth it calms my mind and keeps me steady from the storm of emotions coming at me during this season. Here are just a few of those truths I have been meditating on.Psalm 103
1 Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless his holy name!
2 Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits,
3 who forgives all your iniquity,
who heals all your diseases,
4 who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
5 who satisfies you with good
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.
10 He does not deal with us according to our sins,
nor repay us according to our iniquities.
11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him;
14 For he knows our frame;
he remembers that we are dust.
and all that is within me,
bless his holy name!
2 Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits,
3 who forgives all your iniquity,
who heals all your diseases,
4 who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
5 who satisfies you with good
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.
10 He does not deal with us according to our sins,
nor repay us according to our iniquities.
11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him;
14 For he knows our frame;
he remembers that we are dust.
17 But the steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him,
and his righteousness to children's children
and his righteousness to children's children
Psalm 107
19 Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,
and he delivered them from their distress.
20 He sent out his word and healed them,
and delivered them from their destruction.
21 Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love,
for his wondrous works to the children of man!
22 And let them offer sacrifices of thanksgiving,
and tell of his deeds in songs of joy!
and he delivered them from their distress.
20 He sent out his word and healed them,
and delivered them from their destruction.
21 Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love,
for his wondrous works to the children of man!
22 And let them offer sacrifices of thanksgiving,
and tell of his deeds in songs of joy!
Psalm 23
6 Surely[only] goodness and mercy[steadfast love] shall follow me [pursue me like a lion]
all the days of my life,
all the days of my life,
No comments:
Post a Comment