There are a few Filipino food blogs I follow. And every now and then, I will pin a recipe to my Pinterest page that looks interesting, saving it for later reference. One of those recipes was ginataang mais. This week I decided to give making it a try.
What I liked about this recipe was the ingredients were easy to obtain. The only "unusual" ingredient that would be hard to find in a regular American market was the sticky rice, but thankfully I already had some on hand. The rest of the ingredients I bought from Trader Joe's.
I had a couple recipes for ginataang mais saved, but I decided to follow this one. "Ginataang" is a word that means "cooked with coconut milk", and "mais" is corn. My husband likes dishes cooked in coconut milk, so I always feel safe trying those. The blog that posted this recipe said this dish is eaten as a snack or dessert, and can be eaten hot or cold.
You basically just dump all of the ingredients together in a pot and cook it until the sticky rice is soft. The most "difficult" step would be your need to stand close to the pot and stir frequently. But other than that it was pretty easy.
One trick to cooking a new dish just a couple weeks after having a baby is to have a "grandma" on hand and maybe a cute cousin or two to hang out and watch your active toddler and preschooler.
It turned out pretty yummy! Not sure how to describe it. It was almost the same steps as champorado (chocolate sticky rice porridge), but with corn instead of chocolate. Think of sweet creamy coconut flavored porridge. Jakob enjoyed it, but unfortunately I didn't get a picture since I was feeding the baby in the other room. But I did get a picture of Trevor. Ha ha... unfortunately he is my picky son and he refused to try it. So here he is smiling nicely with his chicken nuggets instead.
It was fun to try a new recipe. But I think we probably prefer champorado to ginataang mais. What Filipino dish do you think I should try next?
No comments:
Post a Comment