Thursday, January 02, 2014

Danger of Introspection: do you know your “god”?


Which do you know better?  Your god OR your God?  I like to think, analyze and mull things over and over in my mind.  You can say that I am an introspective person.  The dictionary defines introspection as, “a reflective looking inward : an examination of one's own thoughts and feelings.”  True, there are some benefits to examining my thoughts and feelings, but most often it only gets me into trouble.

How does thinking too much get me into trouble?  When I spend my energy and make it my end goal to be fully familiar with my “god” rather than focusing on knowing my God.  It usually starts with a sin or struggle that keeps reappearing in my life.  Then as I begin to notice its frequent reappearance, I grow frustrated at my inability to change and turn.  So I make it my goal to change.  Using all of my spare moments throughout the day, I make it my passion to get to know this new sin of mine.  It’s a hunger to know why and a grasp to gain control, to discover what wrong thinking led to my wrong beliefs about God and thus resulted in the action of my sin.  But it is a hunger that is never satisfied.

Even after I identify my wrong thinking, my heart idol, and the pattern and location of temptation…I wait.  I wait for brokenness, I wait for tears and sorrow over my sin.  And I wait in fear, afraid that if tears do not fall I assume I must still have a hardened heart….so I start the process all over again, because I think I must have missed something.  You can probably imagine this process is very wearisome.  Which naturally leads to depression and a state of hopelessness.

The failure in the process of introspection is that knowledge of God is blinded by sin.  Sin by its very nature is deceitful.  The ability to fully know myself and my sin and my “god” depends upon my knowledge of God.  When I go through this depressing introspective cycle of getting aquatinted with my “god” -- with my Bible closed -- it is like I am groping in the darkness.  It is futile and leads only to weariness.[1]
The man declares, I am weary, O God; I am weary, O God, and worn out. Surely I am too stupid to be a man. I have not the understanding of a man. I have not learned wisdom, nor have I knowledge of the Holy One.  (Proverbs 30:1b-3)

In all of my introspective efforts I have failed to realize that the only way people come to God is because God draws them, no one comes to God out of human reason.  Analyzing, admiring and scrutinizing my “god” will not bring me to knowing God.  No, I need to turn from my “god” and come, look and believe in my God.  But it is not enough to replace gazing upon my “god” with gazing upon my God.  I need the Bread of Life.  Eating is necessary, I cannot just come and admire the Bread.  But to eat there must be hunger, which is an aching of the heart because it is empty.  It is food, the Bread of Life, that transforms, you must eat.[2]
So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like the bread the fathers ate, and died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.”  (John 6:53-58)

I am thankful for my husband’s faithfulness to love me like Christ loves the church.  He faithfully observes and learns the way my mind works, and as a result he understands me better than I understand myself.  He sees the overwhelming burden I carry when I try to dissect my sin.  He sees the shock and surprise I have each time I fail.  And he consistently listens when I tell him time and time again the ugliness of my sin and repetitive sin patterns.  Then he patiently ministers the Word to me and reminds me of the gospel.  One of the ways he reminded me of the gospel recently was by directing me to read an article titled “Strength=Good, Weakness=Bad”, by Tim Challies.  Here are a few paragraphs:
I like to be strong. At least I like to appear strong. You do too, I think. Most of us value strength and look down on weakness. We honor those who have their lives together and regard with suspicion those who do not.

Strength = good, weakness = bad. That is our functional formula. But it is not the Lord’s. 2 Corinthians 12 says it very differently: “‘My grace is sufficient for you,” said the Lord, “‘for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

Paul saw that weakness, not strength, was key to his ministry. He had to own his weakness so the Lord could fill him with strength. The stronger he was, the weaker the power of God would be; the weaker he was, the greater the power of God would be.

I told my husband, Allan, that the truth from 2 Corinthians 12 was so refreshing!  I said it was such a relief because it removes my burden and lifts my gaze from my “god” to my God.  Allan told me that he sees the burden I put myself under each time I sin and he reminded me that as soon as I try to fight my sin I have already lost.  Why?  Because sin has already been fought by my Savior on the cross and I have victory through His death and resurrection.

This reminder simplifies the whole process of repentance.  As I got lost in the path of introspection I made the repentance process, and the entire Christian walk, burdensome and complicated.  So this year one of my resolutions is going to be to turn and gaze upon my God and Savior.  Instead of getting lost in the introspective maze of analyzing my thoughts and feelings, I am going to open my Bible more and let the Word renew my mind.  Why?  Because next time I sin I am not going to be surprised at the ugliness of my flesh, instead I am going to see the weakness of my flesh as a blessing in disguise, because it is the vehicle, the hunger and the fuel that leads me to my Savior and the gospel.


[1] Sermon at Grace Community Church on December 29, 2013, by Lance Quinn “Knowing God”
[2] Sermon at Grace Community Church on December 22, 2013, by John MacArthur “I Have Come Down Out of Heaven”

No comments:

Post a Comment