I haven’t blogged about a Filipino dish recently, so I
thought it was about time. Since the last time I blogged about my Filipino cooking adventures I have tried a few more dishes, but just didn't take the time to blog about them. (I really enjoyed the Tuna Sisig I made, perhaps I will make it again so I can share it with you all here.) But this time I
decided to make Filipino style spaghetti.
The first time I tried it I was warned that although it looks just like
spaghetti, it was sweeter. The
taste immediately reminded me of Chef Boyardee's spaghetti O’s with franks that I ate so many
times from a can growing up. So of course I
liked it. My husband tells me that
it is a common food that you would find at a children’s birthday party in the Philippines. He said it was one of his favorite dishes as a
kid
The main differences between the spaghetti you are probably
familiar with and the Filipino version is that the Filipino version has banana
ketchup, hot dogs and a little sugar added. Banana ketchup is just like it sounds, made from bananas and
colored red to resemble ketchup.
It even comes in a glass bottle, the same shape as a Heinz bottle. I read on one of the food blogs I
follow that it came about during World War 2 when tomatoes were hard to
find. Not sure how true that is,
but makes a good story.
The recipe I followed came from the Panlasang Pinoy
blog. Over time I have come to
recognize which recipes are the more authentic Filipino recipes, and which recipes have been altered to the preferences of Amercians. I do have a couple cook books, but for
a lot of the Filipino dishes I make I get the recipe from the internet. I found it helpful looking at a few different recipes of the same dish so I can learn the variations and compare. If it is an authentic recipe than
usually about 1-3 ingredients will not have any measures indicated. Instead it will list the ingredient and
later under the instructions it will simply say “add such-and-such”. It can be quite frustrating, but at the
same time forces me to learn by taste and compare other recipes to deceiver the puzzle.
Another sign that the recipe is authentic is some of the ingredients
will be impossible to find at your local grocery store. And third, the YouTube video showing
the step by step process will be in Tagalog (in part or in whole) if you are using an authentic
recipe.
Here are my ingredients and I was ready to go.
The process was very similar to my mom’s spaghetti, with
just a few extra ingredients to throw in.
I came to a hick up when it told me to add the brown sugar. There was no indication anywhere how
much to add. I searched for other
recipes to see how much sugar they added.
I found one recipe that added 1 TBSP and another recipe that added ½
cup! Ha ha… so I figured it must
go by prefence and taste? I
decided to add ¼ cup. I think that
was too much and I should have started slow and tasted, then added more. Next time.
The other hick up was it said “A big bottle of banana
ketchup”. Walmart actually had banana
ketchup so I bought mine there.
But I didn’t notice any size differences. So I assumed mine was “big”. But just to make sure I added 1/3 more from another bottle I
already had on hand. Ha ha... mistake number 2.
Oh one more thing.
It said to make 2 lbs. of spaghetti. That sounded like a lot to me. But from the other 4 recipes I found online, they all called
for 2 lbs of spaghetti. Filipinos
eat with family and friends in large groups, so perhaps making anything less than 2 lbs
isn't worth the effort?
Here is a picture of the end product. It turned out okay. It is edible. But it is a little too sweet. So I think the ¼ cup of brown sugar was
too much. I should have added
less. And the second thing is that
it was hot and spicy! Crazy, where
did that come from? Then I looked
at the bottle of banana ketchup I used and it said “Hot”. Ha ha… oh no I got the hot
version?! I didn’t even know it
came in a hot version.
But if like sweet and spicy spaghetti, come on over to my
house! I have a big dish of
freshly made Filipino spaghetti waiting to be eaten. Not sure how much of my white family will eat the dish, but I have a feeling my husband will love it! ... And in the end that is what matters most for my Filipino cooking adventures.
No comments:
Post a Comment