I have been thinking, crying, praying, and contemplating
over the burden I shared in my previous post, yearning for butterflies and
fireworks. I have definitely not
learned a complete true biblical understanding of romance and passion yet, but
I can say that I am beginning on my journey towards that end – starting the
sorting process in my mind of lies from truth. This post is my desire to record the repentance process so
that I can later go back and remember what God has done in my life and worship
and praise Him.
My wise (and cute) husband said that often when a pastor
preaches on anger, during the preparation process of his sermon he will most
likely face the temptation of anger in his own life. The idea being that when you decide to pursue knowledge and
understanding of something from the Scriptures, comprehending God’s will in
order to worship Him better, then be prepared to face temptation.
I have faced temptation this past week. I will save you from all the details
and outworking of my sin. But
suffice to say, I was very introspective and consumed with fear of letting go
of my desire for romance. What is
fueling my fear? Unbelief. Unbelief that my God is good, believing
that He is withholding something good from me, fulfillment of my desires for
butterflies and fireworks.
But I KNOW that God’s ways are wise and good. I know that the wisdom of the world may
bring temporary happiness, but it cannot truly satisfy. So in my eagerness to rid myself of
this burden I asked myself, “perhaps the answer is to squash all butterflies so
they don’t tempt me and I can receive relief?” No, that is not the answer for I am too weak to resist
temptation in my own strength. The
world has perverted and twisted something good, God’s creation and blessing of
marriage, and to ignore that is to shun God’s design.
So I started by going back to the basics. What do I know about God’s will? Philippians 2, in humility consider one
another as more important than yourself.
I realized I was intimately aware of the outworking of romance and
passion that I desired, but I had no clue what my husband desired. So I asked him.
I was surprised to realize that he too has his own desires
for how he’d like me to act and treat him. But I was also encouraged to realize that his desires line
up with the role as a wife that Scripture calls me to. Dreams of a kind wife, a joyous
companion, and a loving helper are just some of the romantic ideals that my
husband dreams for our marriage.
What a relief that by obeying Scripture I can please the Lord and my
husband, my pursuit is singular in focus and not divided. I am thankful for God’s working in my
husband’s heart to make him a man after His own heart.
So far in my journey I have learned that relief from my
burden is not found by concentrating my efforts into squashing the butterflies
of temptation. Such efforts reveal
that I believe God is withholding something good from me and I must be punished
for my selfish longings, for I am too weak to resist my temptations in my own
strength. Instead relief and rest
from my burden are found in my Lord Jesus Christ.
Come
to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from
Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your
souls. For my yoke is easy and My
burden is light. – Matt 11:30
Through the work of my Savior I can become the wife He has
called me to; a companion and helper who is kind and full of joy because my
faith is firmly fixed on the goodness of my Savior.
To make it through this maze of butterflies I must remember
that God is good. But weariness
settles in all to quickly when I realize that my faith is weak and my
temptation seems too strong and attractive. How can such a small faith guide me through my journey? Thanks be to God for His promises in
Scripture, for He says my faith may be little but all I need is faith the size
of a mustard seed and God can move mountains! (Matt 17:20)
When I get weary, questions about God’s goodness towards my
desires begin to tempt me towards unbelief in my Savior. Weariness begins to settle in as I
realize my faith is weak and I wonder how I can make it through this journey of
butterflies. It is then that
Scripture encourages me and gives me hope! My faith may be small, but God is faithful and He will work
miracles within my heart when I rest upon Him!
No comments:
Post a Comment