My younger son, Trevor, just recently turned 1. So I began weaning him from nursing to
regular milk. The process was
relatively easy and pain free.
Trevor was quite happy to drink his milk from a sippy cup and didn’t
complain one bit! So in a matter
of a few weeks or so he was weaned.
Just as planned. What I
didn’t plan was the emotional changes I would experience.
First were the outbursts of anger. Then tears. And
finally the overwhelming and seemingly unexplainable feelings of
depression. I did not make the
connection between my heightened emotions and the adjustment of my hormones
from weaning my son, that is not until someone mentioned it to me.
Adjusting hormones is NOT an excuse to sin, nor does it
justify my wrong behavior. But it
does offer some explanation as to why the battle in my mind to think on truth
has been more difficult lately.
You would think that the connection would ease my mind a little,
offering one reason why I am not completely crazy. Instead it did the opposite, I was even more sad and
introspective as I realized,
“I struggle with depression.”
I heard a recent quote from Martin Luther which says, “Sin
is man curved in on self.” And
that is exactly where I was, curved in on myself. Several thoughts filtered through my mind. I questioned God’s sovereign plan to
allow this struggle. I questioned God’s
goodness to orchestrate these events and timing in my life. As I began to question God something
began to occur, I began to get restless.
The restlessness turned to discontentness over the roles and
relationships in my life.
Discontentness grew to envy, covetness, and greed thinking I was all
sovereign and knew what was best for my life.
After a couple weeks of this thought pattern I grew tired
and exhausted. I was tired of
myself and disgusted with my own mind.
As I began more acquainted and aware of each aspect and nuance of my sin
it made me more restless. Then my
loving husband reminded me:
“Hope (and joy) can only be found
outside of you... if you only look inward, you'll be more and more depressed
(and that's a general truth because of our fallen condition -- this isn't just
limited to hormones)."
If all sin is ultimately a battle in
our mind, I am eager to engage in that battle with my Sword of the Spirit by
the enablement of the promises of God.
Okay, so I might struggle with depression more than most people but who
says I am all knowing to say that is not for my ultimate good? With repentance, God can and will use
all of these things to shape and mold me more into Christ’s image. Being fully acquainted with my own sin
will NOT give any one else hope.
But being fully acquainted with my Savior will!
My pursuit of joy is basically my
pursuit of Christ. I tend towards
introspection, wanting to fully understand the working of my sin, and before I
know it I am turned in on myself and depressed at what I see! Instead I want to be turned in on
Christ. – embracing with full trust who He is, so that in turn I will
experience joy and rest.
No one changes in the abstract, but
only in the concrete. So here is
my first step towards my pursuit of joy, acknowledging gratitude towards God’s
blessings in my life, and foremost is my husband Allan.
I am thankful for a husband who
cares for my inner soul, putting aside his agenda and desires for the day when
he sees that my mind has been turned in on self and captured by
hoplessness. He freely and
regularly gives himself up to remind me of my hope and rest in our Savior. The Lord’s work in my husband’s life is
my husband’s most attractive quality.
He understands the gospel better than anyone I know and he is the most
humble and kindness person I know never expecting to be served or praised. He understands the entanglements and
allurements of my heart and the ugliness of my sin does not make him weary
because he is grounded in the gospel.
I am truly a blessed woman!
I hope to use my blog more to record God's work and blessings in my life, to concretely acknowledge the greatness of my God and Savior. The allurements of the world may tug at my soul, telling me that my marriage does not mirror the romantic butterflies of novels and big screens, thus breeding discontentness and envy. But when I look outside of myself and ground my soul in the Word (by help and reminder from my loving husband) I know I have been immensely blessed by the marriage to the wonderful man, Allan Luciano!
Thank you for sharing Sandi! I especially appreciate this reminder: “Hope (and joy) can only be found outside of you... if you only look inward, you'll be more and more depressed (and that's a general truth because of our fallen condition -- this isn't just limited to hormones)." That is so true and will be such an encouragement for me to remember.
ReplyDeleteMost all of my good wisdom I pass along comes directly from my husband Allan. :) A man of few words, he chooses them carefully. I try to pass along what he tells me because I know others will benefit as well. :)
Delete