What comes to mind when someone tells you they want to be a
missionary? A specific type of
person comes to my mind. This
person grew up with maps posted on her walls with hearts circling the countries
she dreams of visiting one day.
She read countless biographies about missionaries with a romantic hope
of one day having their own life captured in the pages of a book. Her personality is bubbly, full of
energy and a natural extrovert.
When her friends take her out to eat she spends the whole time talking
to the server about Jesus. In her
free time she enjoys backpacking in wild and eating off the land.
I fall quite short in every area of this “missionary girl
image”. I never dreamed of being a
missionary. I was never really
interested in any culture except my own.
I have only read one missionary biography. I am just as nervous to share my faith as the next person. And I don’t enjoy backpacking, it is
scary and I don’t like getting dirty.
Because I fall so short of the missionary image I created for myself,
you can understand why I am afraid that others might ask me what I think about
becoming a missionary. (You can read more about my excitement to move to the Philippines here.)
My church has a ministry called Mindset for Missions. Once a week a group of ladies get
together to hear updates and reports from missionaries. Throughout the year these ladies pray
for and encourage the missionaries from our church. Since my husband and I are planning, praying and working
towards becoming missionaries ourselves I realized it would be a good idea for
me to attend. Ironic as it may be,
I need a mindset for missions.
Right now my mindset about missions is that romantic missionary girl
image. A couple months ago my schedule worked out where I can now attend
regularly. I timidly sneak in and
secretly hope no one will find out that I am a “missionary in training”,
fearing that if they do then they will ask me which maps I had posted on my
wall as a child. Ha ha…. But of course this group is none of the
above and God has graciously been using it in my life
Today at mindset for missions a missionary to France
presented. He gave a short
presentation about the misconceived idea most people have of life in
France. He got us to think and see
things from the shoes of an Islamic African immigrant now living in
France. He didn’t say anything
profound or life altering. But
something did impact me from his presentation and it was this, “he loves French
people.” I have no idea how close
he matches my romantic missionary image, but I do know that he loves French
people. He has a good
understanding of what life is like from their perspective and he longs for them
to know the hope of the gospel and for them to experience the forgiveness of
Christ.
So today my mindset about missions has been influenced and
altered. I am beginning to see
that being a missionary has little to do with my silly perceived image. Instead it has everything to do with the
love of Christ for the lost.
LOVE mindset for missions!! those ladies are awesome!! wish i had attended more when we lived in the area!
ReplyDeleteGod is going to USE you because He gives grace to the humble. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDelete