Here are all of the ingredients laid out and ready to go.
My first bump was using a turkey thermometer to test the oil instead of a candy thermometer. Oops! Melted a little!
Then, my second bump was having my little Trevor almost blow away in a tent. You see Jakob was out back playing while I was preparing, so I put Trevor in a little tent on the grass. Not too long passed when Jakob came in whinning and crying. I went outside to find the tent upside down! I rescued Trevor and brought both boys inside. ha ha... Trevor wasn't even crying and had no clue.
I was sorta using two different recipes. A Filipino one to make sure it was authentic, but then an American one so I could follow more specific step by step directions. Maybe my oil was too hot... couldn't tell since I melted my thermometer. But one recipe said to sprinkle brown sugar on the turon while it was deep frying. My sugar just floated around and clumped up... it didn't stick to the turon or caramelize at all. Oh well.
Then the nice American recipe said to let the turon dry on paper towels to soak up the oil. But my turons were gobbed with brown sugar so they stuck to the paper towel. I got rid of the paper towel for the next two batches and just went with the extra oil. :)






These sound seriously delicious! Will you be posting a recipe?
ReplyDeleteHere are the two recipes I sorta followed
DeleteThis one had pretty step by step pictures, but it used white sugar instead of brown and I wanted to use brown sugar.
http://www.wishfulchef.com/2011/09/filipino-turon-banana-rolls/
And this one I left out of the jackfruit.
http://www.allfavoriterecipe.com/turon-saba-banana-plantain
Actually the turon we have here in Spain is totally different. It's like a bark with nuts in it. That we eat at Christmastime. There are a few variations on it, but the purest one is like a hard white candy with nuts in the middle and a type of edible paper on the outside. It's quite yummy but looks and sounds totally different than what you made. Good for you for trying all these recipes! I bet they will be easier when you are in the Philippines and hte ingredients will be more accesible.
ReplyDelete