So I am just about a month away from the due date of my second son, Trevor Nathan. As I approach the birth of our second son it has caused me to prepare again for the birth process. And as I have begun to again prepare, it has caused me to be thankful for God’s design of a husband and wife, specifically the submission of a wife to her husband. Let me explain.
With the birth of our first son, Jakob, I was terrified of the actual birth process. Birth stories of others and the anticipation of pain caused great fear and anxiety in me. And how does my little heart and flesh try to cope with fear? By seeking to control as much of the circumstances as I can. And that is exactly what I sought out to do. I read books about childbirth, took classes about childbirth, met with experts about childbirth, and practiced positions and exercises for childbirth. I did all that was in me to seek to control the situation as much as possible. I made a birth plan and it had 12 points. I had my doctor sign my plan and I kept two copies with me to give to the hospital and nurses once I arrived. Part of what I learned in all my studies was that if it was possible, it was advantageous to have the least amount interventions if one wanted to avoid the most risks and complications. So in my desperation of control (to ease my fears and anxieties) I took that to mean “drugs and interventions are bad and reveal weakness.” To sum up a long story, at the end of Jakob’s birth 10 out of my 12 preferences in my birth plan went exactly opposite as I wanted and I ended up getting an epidural. I was unable to control my birth experience and as a result despair, frustration and sorrow resulted. I was jealous of others who were able to have the birth plan that I wanted, envious and assuming that they were better than me for being able to give birth naturally. I had lost sight of what was important. I lacked thankfulness for the healthy birth of my son. I lacked joy.
So as I think back on the birth of my son, what comes to mind is the emotional pain I experienced and my lack of thanksgiving and joy. So as the due date of Trevor approaches it makes me want to do things differently. I still see the benefits of having the least amount of interventions, and thus going as natural as possible, so I again want to try for that. So I was talking with Allan about whom to have in the hospital room to help assist me during labor. When we were having this conversation he said, “You know, the conviction to avoid epidurals is your conviction not mine. I am supporting you in this because I am preferring you, but it is not my conviction.” As we continued to have this conversation I learned that Allan recognizes the benefits of avoiding intervention and going natural, but he also knows and understands me. He knows how my heart can get consumed and tied up when I have a strong conviction that a certain thing is right. He sees how I put unnecessary pressure on myself to live up to a standard or conviction that I have set (that is a mere preference and not a biblical standard or command).
As I reflected on this conversation that Allan and I had it made me realize how much my husband understood me, my desires, wants, and sin tendencies. Although he saw the physical benefits of going drug free, when he compared that to the spiritual and emotional results that I would be tempted with, he didn’t have the same convictions as me. Then it dawned on me, although I am giving birth it is for the birth of OUR son, mine and Allan’s. Allan has been preferring me the whole time, and I was so consumed with what I wanted and what my plans were that I didn’t even stop to consider what Allan thought or wanted.
This is where the umbrella of protection comes in. When I took a marriage and family class in my biblical counseling training, the professor gave the illustration that God’s design for a wife to submit to her husband is because that is how He protects the wife. God gives this command to wives with full knowledge and understanding that husbands are human and thus sinful. Husbands will not always make the best decisions, they will sin and fail. They are not infallible. But nonetheless we are called to submit to them, and if we do then God will honor and bless us. Scripture is clear of submission and God’s design of it. When I apply God’s design and command of submission to the birth of our second son, it gives me wonderful peace and relieves many fears and anxieties. God does not have commands as to how one should give birth. Sure there is wisdom you can consider as you prepare. But the actual process and circumstances of giving birth are neutral, they are really neither sinful or honorable. BUT… God is very clear about submission. When I realized this, it caused me to gives thanks and rejoice for God’s protection of me through submitting to Allan. Allan knows my struggles, my sin tendencies and how my flesh can react. Allan cares for my walk with the Lord and desires foremost for me to walk with the Lord. Peace has come when I rest in God’s plan and purpose of submission. Peace comes because I no longer have to wonder which birth plan is the “best”. I no longer have to try to gain approval from God through following certain techniques in the labor process. Because Scripture is clear; honor, respect and submit to your husband. It is very easy to submit to a husband who knows and understands you better than you do yourself. The birth of Trevor just got a whole lot less complicated and I have more peace. And I think the result will be joy and thanksgiving after Trevor arrives rather than despair and frustration.
so true about the umbrella of protection from the Lord. and how often i forget this and fight against it!! praying for a healthy and safe delivery. cant wait to see pics!! where are you guys at in your support raising and all of that?
ReplyDeletePrecious Allan and Sandi, I so appreciated your comments, and yet feel somewhat responsible for how you approached the birth of Jakob. My deepest feelings are that birth should be as joyful a process as possible, tapping into the plan and strength God has given to us, to be able to perform this incredible task. And at all times, we must remember it is indeed He who has made us, and not we ourselves, and the idea that we would seek to "control" any process of life, including the birth of our children, is really a failure to trust God's providential will for our lives. Yet trusting Him, and the way He made us, gives us confidence to rest in His strength and allow His perfect grace to be sufficient in our weakness. And, of course, taking absolute joy and having great thankfulness for the resulting child He blessed us with, is ultimately the most significant part of the entire process, both physically and spiritually. That said, there remains nothing amiss with understanding how God made the body to work, and the efforts we can undertake to insure the most blessed outcome. All the preparation you did, Sandi, was good. Please don't think the failure to "not have an epidural" was indicative of your not being adequately prepared or "doing enough". I say again, as I have said to you before, not having a medicated birth should not be the goal , but doing those things God has set before you to prepare for any eventuality, and then being flexible as the process gets underway, and feeling that you are doing the best, with God's ever present help, under the circumstances of your birth. That's what I long to see every parent come away with. I believe God sets before us preparation He would have us undertake whenever possible, notwithstanding, we do not take the position "God helps those who help themselves" attitude. One of the factors that simply has to be recognized, again something we talked about before, is that in today's medical climate, everyone expects you to have, to want, an epidural. to not be able give birth without one. Techniques like lessened meds to see if they help (analgesia of whatever the doc recommends),and encouragement directed by someone who knows the process especially in those very hard times of labor, is a frequently overlooked source of support. That's why I'm so glad you have such a person with you in this coming labor. Please understand, Allan, I'm not saying you're "not enough", you are Sandi's anchor, and your place cannot be filled by another. But I've found that husbands generally feel much relief to have the presence of someone who is a little more objective along with having expertise that men simply cannot have, is very comforting to the guys, and actually helps then to relax and enjoy the process as well... OK, that's all I have to say, except I really love all you shared about the Umbrella of protection. That is a basic and important principle for all Christian marriages. Thanks for the reminder!! Love you guys so much.Jan
ReplyDeleteJan -
ReplyDeletePlease don't feel bad. I was (and am) very appreciate of all your time and knowledge you spent on me to help get me prepared for Jakob's birth. It wasn't a waste at all, it was very helpful. Even now I am using some of the things you suggested to help prepare again for Trevor's birth. And I saved the handouts you gave me, and I am going to review them again for suggested positions and breathing during my labor. One of the things you mentioned, about a women being vulnerable and emotional during birth was quite true for me! But I took the information you presented and in my sin I twisted it. God gave perfect instruction in the garden, yet Eve still twisted his instruction. The same true here. :)
In my blog post I was hoping to explain how I twisted perfectly good and helpful information about labor and birth, and preverted it to use it for my own purpose - which was to try and control and seek refuge in the birth process. Rather than using it as a tool and seeking refuge in the Lord alone. The doctrine of submission of a wife to her husband is one thing that has really helped clear up my thinking and reveal to me where I was faulty in my thinking before. I am thankful that I can submit fully to Allan and his prefernces/decisions and don't have to try to worry or figure out if what he says is the perfect. God knows that Allan isn't perfect, but God wants me to submit to Allan as my husband. That clears up soo many decisions that I'll have to make. I can now prepare for birth again using the helpful information and assistance you provided, but I don't have to trust in that. I can trust in God's use of Allan as my husband and allow Allan to help me make decisions. Thank you for your prayers! :)
Melissa -
ReplyDeleteHope you are doing well! I have enjoyed reading about how you are settling in over in Spain. :) Funny differences you have already noticed about living there.
I remember one time I was getting anxious if I should get a medium or small latte from Porto's bakery. We were in line and I needed to make a decision. "oh no, I should get a small because it is smaller and less calories and cheaper... oh but I am really desiring a medium and it would be oh sooo yummy!" So then I asked Allan "Allan which should I get". He said Medium... so I thought, great! I will submit to Allan. ha ha... it was so helpful. :) ha ha... silly example.
Support raising is going well. We have been sharing mainly at bible studies so far. Shared at about 5 or so in the past couple months. Allan is sharing again tonight. Support raising isn't as scary or overwhleming as I thought. :) People are very gracious. I am appreciative when people express thanks for the communication we send them. Makes it feel less like we are on some sort of PR campaign or political campaign. ha ha...