Thursday, March 03, 2011

Oatmeal Pancakes for the high cholesterol, egg allergic, and pregnancy cravings person!

With this second pregnancy I seem to be getting cravings in the middle of the night and wake up with inspirations and desires for yummy breakfasts! But since Allan just found out that he has high cholesterol I feel sorta selfish giving into my cravings for pancakes, crepes, and french toast. So I looked for a recipe that was low fat that Allan could eat as well and found a great oatmeal pancakes recipe.

Yum yum! They actually turned out really well. And the exciting part is that I was able to make it with no egg! I was a little too fixed on the fact that there was no egg in the pancake mix, so that I fed one to my son, that I overlooked something important. Jakob is allergic to egg (and a handful of other stuff, one being milk). So he hardly ever gets to eat the same thing as the rest of us. So I was so excited that we could eat the same meal as an entire family (and yummy pancakes at that!!) that I totally forgot that I put milk in the recipe. I was celebrating and singing a little song, “yay, yay, yay, my son is eating a pancake!” when I remembered I put milk into the recipe! Yikers! (insert wide-eyed sheepish Sandi face here.) I waited, and waited, but no eczema reaction to the milk in the pancake. All seemed well…until Chipotle.

In the afternoon Jakob was unusually fussy and I didn’t know just why. And then we went out to Chipotle for dinner. Allan was holding Jakob in line and said, “he feels wet.” I then picked up the back of Jakob’s shirt to investigate. I gasped and said “Oh my! Yes, he needs a diaper change.” We quickly stepped out of line and changed his diaper. I guess Jakob did react to the milk in the pancakes after all. ☹ Next time I’ll make the pancakes with Rice Milk and hopefully we won’t have any accidents in line at Chipotle.

Now after that little story I am sure you are just ready and waiting for the recipe. ☺ It really was tasty. A nice hearty pancake with good texture – healthy for the high cholesterol concerned person, safe for the egg allergic person, and satisfying for the cravings of a pregnant woman!

1 ¾ Cups skim milk
1 TBSP honey
1 ½ Cups rolled oats
1 Cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
4 large egg whites
¼ Cup oil

(NOTE EGG SUBSTITUTION: for each egg a recipe calls for you can substitute it with the following:
1 ½ TBSP water
1 ½ TBSP oil
1 tsp baking powder)

In a small bowl mix milk and honey until dissolved. Add oatmeal and sitr to coat. In a second bowl stir flour and baking powder. Add oat mixture, eggwhites & 3 TBSP oil. Stir until mixed. Heat griddle on medium high heat with oil. Pour ¼ cup portions on oiled griddle and cook.

Oh and we ate it with some fresh strawberries on top, and with a drizzle of blue agave sweetener. The blue agave is new to us – and really nice. It is suppose to be good for diabetics and not spike your blood sugar. Tastes sorta like sweet honey. You only need a little and it sweetens it just enough without making it surgary tasting.

The picture below is the face you would have seen if you were standing behind us in line at Chipotle.

2 comments:

  1. Super cool! Thanks Sandi!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I was really excited that the egg substitute was good! I made it once with the egg whites, and a second time with the egg substitute. You couldn't tell a difference at all. :)

    ReplyDelete