Since we have been here over a year now, things are not so new to me anymore. But instead they are becoming normal and familiar. I don't think I will ever reach a point where everything is totally familiar, since I am a foreigner. But it is surprising to reflect on things that a year ago were new, unfamiliar and occupied my thoughts; and compare it to now where those same things have become familiar, routine, and almost normal. So I thought I would do a blog series on "my new normal" to sorta document my adjustment to life here. The first one will be about my purse.
These two items I try to keep in my purse at all times now. A fan and a face towel. These are so helpful to have in a variety of unexpected situations where I find myself waiting around. The face towel keeps my face from dripping with sweat and takes the place of what my sleave did when I played soccer. I found it is helpful to keep my face from dripping with sweat as it lessens people's inquiry of me of "are you hot?" and it keeps me more comfortable too.
These two go along with the face towel and fan. After I have gotten to my destination, wherever that might be, I first dry off my sweat with my towel and fan. Then I use baby power to help keep my face dry and make it more presentable. I was pretty excited to find this little compact of baby powder to make it easier to put it on my face. Although I have to be careful I don't put too much on otherwise I look washed out and sick like I might faint.And I have to read the labels carefully that I don't get one with any skin whitening elements, which are plentiful here. Allan jokes that if I did use skin whitening then I might disappear.What happens when you whiten white skin?
These two items are for using the CR (comfort room as it is called here) when out in public. Not all public restrooms have toilet paper here. In the US if a bathroom doesn't have toilet paper you probably picture a really dirty and smelly one. The type of one at the back of a gas station in a not so great area of town. But that is not the case here. Often the CR here looks very clean and nice. But they don't always have tissue. Sometimes they have one large one mounted on the wall near the sinks. The idea is you take what you need BEFORE you go into the stall. But I usually forget to do this and not all CRs are stocked like this. So I carry these two items just in case. They are quite handy!
Since we are in public restrooms, let's go wash our hands. If not all CRs are stocked with tissue how many do you think are stocked with soap? About the same. At first I wasn't sure what I was suppose to do. So I just rinsed with water and doubled up on the sanitizer. But then I found Spiderman! Same size as the sanitizer but it is hand soap instead. Extra bonus he is a cool superhero since I have all boys its incentive to get them to wash their hands each time.
I don't use these often, but it is worth carrying them in my purse for the few times I do use them. So far I have found them useful in situations where I didn't realize we would be outside in the evening. Individual sized and small enough to keep in my purse. Great help in keeping those mosquitos away.
The first two cards you see in the picture are sorta the local equivlant of frequent shopper cards. Nothing really different. You use them each time you shop to build up points for rewards. SM and Robinsons are two of the larger mall franchises in our area. But the third card is my load. Although you can get "post paid" plans here for internet and cell phone usuage, it is more common to get prepaid "load". You purchase a card for a certain amount and then "load" it onto your device in order to make a call or text. So I usually try to have one backup load in my wallet incase I use up all my cell phone load while I am out. I just pull out this load card and scratch off the code on the back and reload in order to call or text people again. It works the same for our internet usage too.
I am a gum chewer. I am usually the person you can ask for a stick of gum. But I noticed here that most chewing gums are candied coated in a hard outer shell. I wasn't sure why until I stocked my purse with the noncoated kind I was used to before. Yikes, with the heat and humidity here it made my chewing gum a slimy mess even before I had a chance to put it in my mouth.
I don't usually have this in my purse, but I do usually have one with us when we go out. You never know when it might rain, and when it rains here its often a downpour. But even when it is not raining, using an umbrella when you have to walk any distance under the sun is helpful to have. Even the small amount of shade helps cut the heat.
So that's my purse now, my new normal. It took me awhile to figure out all of these helpful things to keep stocked in my purse for regular life here, sorta through trial and error and learning the hard way, but also by observing others around me and what they did. I am sure there are many other helpful things I can still learn. But at least for now this is one area of adjustment to life that is starting to become routine. And when things start to become routine it feels like you can not just survive but also thrive in your new home.


Love the new supplies!
ReplyDeleteJust saw another post on what's in my purse. think i will do the same. how fun. :)
ReplyDelete