Thursday, January 22, 2015

Dear Ann E. Buddy


Dear Ann E. Buddy,
It’s been awhile since I sat down to write you a letter.  I know we see each other on Facebook and send a short message every now and then through messanger, still it is not quite the same as a good ol’ fashion letter.  Okay… not that old fashion since I am typing and not using paper.  ;)  But right now it is that little pocket of my day…the small window of time I have while the boys are at school… so I thought I would use it to catch you up on life over here.
So big changes are about to happen in our family’s life.  We are getting ready to move next week.  We are only moving to about 5-10 minutes away, not very far at all.  Actually we are moving closer to our church!  We will only be a 4 minute drive away from our new church here!  Isn’t that exciting?!  Don’t you remember me telling you how that was one of the things we wanted when we moved and settled into life over here?  It is exciting that God notices and hears all of those seemingly little requests.  It is a great house and we are all excited for the move.
But there are a few details that get me anxious if I dwell on them for too long.  Oh how I miss you!  If only you were a 15 minute drive away… I would call you and make plans to meet up with you for coffee.  You’d order an iced blended mocha and I’d order a caramel macchiato.  We would laugh about our kids and share about struggles of being a mom.  And then you’d say “so how are you doing?  I mean really?  Everything okay with the big move?  How can I help?”  And then I would say, “Oh Ann!  It’s hard.  I am worried about many things.  So many things I don’t know and things out of my comfort zone.  What if….?” And then I would give you my laundry list of worries.  And by then end you’d know all the circumstances and variables to all my desires and wants in regards to this move.  Oh the blessings of friendship and having a kindred spirit to share all that with. 
But living over here has been a blessing in an unimaginable way.  Our distance in time and continents forces me to pause before dumping out my laundry list of desires for my circumstances on your lap.  It causes me to reflect.  So in this letter I am going to write it “backwards”.  Ha ha… I am going to start with the conclusion.  We have known each other for many years.  You know me.  You know the weaknesses of my flesh.  You know how I think.  So you know my struggles and you are always faithful and quick to bring me back to Scripture and remind me of my God.  So in this letter I am going to start with the conclusion that I know you’d tell me at the end of our coffee date.  I am going to start with your response and save myself the anxiety of rehearsing the fears of my circumstances. Here goes…

1 Peter 1:13-16 “Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.  As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, ‘You shall be holy, for I am holy.’ ”
Therefore…. because you are an elect exile, a chosen alien, a citizen of heaven living in a land that is not your home….set your hope with finality on the grace of Jesus Christ.  How?  It has to do with your mind, your inner-man and affections.  Prepare your mind and sober your mind.  Don’t allow the passions of your former ignorance to dictate how you respond to the circumstances of your move
I know your former ignorance.  Your lust to control.  The illusion of your sovereignty, taking pride in your ability, your knowledge, your talents to navigate your way through trying times.  But don’t conform your thinking to your old way of life.  1 Peter 1:21 says your “faith and hope are in God.” 
There are many variables about your move that are unseen to you.  There are circumstances that according to your wisdom and understanding are foolish and need to be changed.  But God is sovereign and all wise, not you, so put your hope in Him.  And the passions of your old self are tempting to turn to and rely on, especially during big times of change such as moving and setting up your home in a foreign country.  But heed the warning of 1 Peter 1:24-25 
“All flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass, 
the grass withers and the flower falls, but the word of the Lord remains forever.”
What are those passions of your old self that you want to glory in during this move? Your ability to plan and organize?  Your wisdom and sovereignty?  Those at the most are merely the glory of a flower, which withers and fades so so quickly.  Like trying to catch the vapors off a hot cup of coffee, it vanishes.  Instead the Word of the Lord is eternal.

Ha ha…. oh Ann, thank you!  You always know just what to say! ;)  I miss you.  Keep in touch!  Let’s do a skype date soon so I can see how big your kids are getting.  I better get going, it is just about time to go pick my boys up from school.
Love, Sandi

No comments:

Post a Comment